Zach

Medellin

Is 7 days (excluding travel) too much time in just Medellin?

Is 7 days too much time in just Medellin, or should I also go to another city in Colombia? I don't want to rush it but I want to take full advantage as well.

Naomi from Newcastle upon Tyne

I would say as a tourist, yes a week in Medellín is a lot although to repeat what Ryan said before, it does depend on what you want to do and how long you are travelling. Going on the MetroCable up to Parque Arví where you can stop off halfway at Santo Domingo to see Biblioteca España is a nice day trip, although make sure to bring something warm and it is a bit colder up in Santa Elena. You can rent bikes there for free, as long as you bring some ID and there's a few nice walks you can do too. Parque Arvi is closed on a Monday (apart from public holidays) so bear that in mind.

Guatape as already is a great day trip outside of Medellin as well other pueblos such as Santa Fe de Antioquia or Jardinare typical Antioquian towns to day trip to.

One of the main reasons to go to Medellin is the nightlife. If you're into salsa go to El TibiriSon Havanaor El Eslabón Prendido ask the locals which nights are best to go to which club. If you fancy giving it a go, go to The Wandering Paisa Backpackers Hostel on Tuesday night for a free salsa lesson.

Otherwise, nightlife is all about the weekend. There's clubs like Dulce Jesús MíoBar El BlueCalle 9+1 and outside of Lleras (Dulce Jesús Mío is further away) there's La 80 and La 33 (both the street names) where you will find bars upon bars upon clubs upon bars.

Hope this helps.

1. Medellín (attraction)
  2. Parque Arví (attraction)
  3. Biblioteca España (attraction)
  4. Santa Elena (city)
  5. Guatape (city)
  6. Santa Fe de Antioquia (city)
  7. Jardin (city)
  8. El Tibiri (attraction)
  9. Son Havana (restaurant)
  10. The Wandering Paisa Backpackers Hostel (restaurant)
  11. Dulce Jesús Mío (attraction)
  12. Bar El Blue (restaurant)
  13. El Eslabón Prendido (attraction)
  14. Calle 9+1 (attraction)

Zach, I will recommend that while in Medellin, you must visit Piedra El Peñol (El Penol Stone), is a monolithic formation located at the town of Guatape. It is a tough vertical stair climb but it is worth it! Beautiful town and an amazing wonder of nature. I will also suggest that you take 3 days to visit Bogota the capital of Colombia. It is a vibrant city cradled by chilly Andean peaks and steeped in sophisticated urban cool.  Among the many beautiful places that you can visit, I will name those that deeply impressed me. Catedral de Sal de ZipaquiraMonserrate, Usaquen, T Zone, Andres Carne de Res, among many others. Take time to visit both cities. You wont regret it!!\

Saludos!!

1. Piedra El Peñol (attraction)
  2. Guatape (city)
  3. Bogota (city)
  4. Catedral de Sal de Zipaquira (attraction)
  5. Monserrate (attraction)
  6. Usaquen (attraction)
  7. T Zone (attraction)
  8. Andres Carne de Res (attraction)

Laura from Buenos Aires

I would say it is too much time. I spend one and a half day there a couple of years ago and eventhough I'd like to go back and stay a little more I don't think there's so much to see.

I think 2 or 3 full days there will suffice to visit Plaza Botero, the Jardín Botánico Joaquín Antonio Uribe, one or two of the libraries like Parque Biblioteca España - Santo Domingo, which are great buildings made in the poorest areas of the city to develop them. You should also go to the Zona Rosa for food and drinks. 

If you have some more time for Colombia you can go to Cartagena, to the coffee zone Armenia (Colombia) and of course to Bogota

1. Plaza Botero (attraction)
  2. Jardín Botánico Joaquín Antonio Uribe (attraction)
  3. Parque Biblioteca España - Santo Domingo (attraction)
  4. Zona Rosa (neighborhood)
  5. Armenia (Colombia) (city)
  6. Bogota (city)
  7. Cartagena (city)

Felipe from Medellin

Hi Zach, 

I think 3 full days in Medellin is enough. Try to spend 2 days in the city and 1 visiting a town nearby, I would recommend Jardin or Santa Fe de Antioquia

For the rest of your trip you can go to Cartagena (food, night life, colonial city), Santa Marta (Eco turism, night life, adventure), Coffee Triangle (Eco turism, coffee region) 

Things to do in Medellin 

- Plaza Botero 

- metro cable 

- Biblioteca España  

- Parque Lleras (at night) 

- On December visit Christmas lights at the river  

- Parque Arvi 

Enjoy the trip

1. Jardin (city)
  2. Santa Fe de Antioquia (city)
  3. Santa Marta (city)
  4. Coffee Triangle (region)
  5. Plaza Botero (attraction)
  6. Biblioteca España (attraction)
  7. Parque Lleras (attraction)
  8. Parque Arvi (attraction)
  9. Cartagena (city)

Ryan from Canmore

I would say it depends on how long your trip is going to be in total. If your on a bit of a longer trip I think it would be a great place to settle into for 7 days. There are lots of good cafe's and restaurants as well as attractions to keep you entertained. It's the only city in Colombia with a metro so you can get around pretty easily, and the weather is beautiful as well.

Michelle from Colombia

7 days is not too much time in just Medellin, however, you should really get to know Cartagena

1. Cartagena (city)