Jing

Maui

What kind of car to rent for driving up Haleakala?

Could you please suggest the type of car to rent for driving up Haleakala in Maui? Is SUV a better choice? Or any full-size sedan would be good enough? Is a mid-size car like Toyota Corolla or Nissan Versa safe enough? If SUV is the best choice, would the SUV be too big for Road to Hana? Trying to find the proper car to rent for different Maui trips... Thanks!

Sophy

Any car you pick will work because the roads are good. Unless of course you choose to go bush bashing.. Then thats a different story.  You'll be safe with a mid size car. Again depends how many people etc. 

Andy

Any car is OK.  I have driven Haleakala and Hana in multiple cars.  Never a problem.   The roads are great.  An SUV is OK for the road to Hana, but is might be tight in a couple of spots.  I don't see any problems with any car.

Bryce from Kamloops

Any car will do, from a small sub compact to a crossover/suv. It all depends on how many people and belongings you will be bring...
Personally myself, I would go for a car, but I also don't like spending extra on fuel costs.

Kristi from Fresno

Yes any car is fine - the road is very narrow and windy with over 600 turns and many one lane bridges -but if you can do a convertible that is popular too as seeing the waterfalls and amazing scenery. 

jess from Houston

Any car will do. Maui's roads are paved and well taken care of. We typically rent a small SUV or minivan depending on how many people are with us.