Xiaowan asked

Suggestions for road to Hana!

Im planning a trip to Maui in oct, this will be my 2nd time. We want to take a day to drive to Hana. What are some of the spots that we definitely don't want to miss? Also would it be a good idea to go with a tour van for this particular day trip? Just to reduce some hassle? 

Thx in advance! 

Maui

Kenny from Torrance

Hana.... my recommendation is to drive your self.  You can control your speed and take in any POI location that you wish to stop and enjoy.  However if you take the van, you will have a higher probability of motion sickness.  Hope this helps.

Julie from Mountain View

I don't recommend a tour van. It is nice to take it at your own speed. I also highly recommend the book Maui Revealed. It has a great description of all the sites along the way (including best banana bread ever and an adventure hike if you are up for it). We used that book every time (I think they have a mobile app now too)

Dave from Birmingham (Alabama)

Do not miss seeing the rainbow trees along the way! and make sure you make reservations at Mama's Fish House Restaurant after your road trip since it is at the beginning and end of the road.

Mike from Richmond (California)

There are pro's and cons to each. If you drive yourself, the driver misses a lot of the scenery except for when you stop. You have more control, but you also have to know the best spots to stop. We have done the van and really enjoyed it. You have no control on where you stop or when, but they have usually made solid choices. The lunch stops were good and the scenery along the way his fantastic. If you are prone to motion sickness, ride up front with the driver. Either way its a great day out. Have Fun!

Mike

Lisa

I preferred a luxury van trip--I didn't feel limited by the number of stops that they made and I felt relaxed while taking in all of the sights.  The drivers know the roads well and you will learn so much from them on the drive--more than you could possibly learn otherwise.  Whatever you decide, have a wonderful time.  It's a beautiful place.  

Lisa
Oh...and make sure you try the banana bread. It's delicious!