John
Venice Beach

Maui

Recommendations for a family vacation on Maui?

We are headed to Maui tomorrow Jan 3rd.  Kids ages 12, 14, 20 and 73 yr old grandma.  We are staying at the Westin. Any suggestions? Best restaurants for family on a budget?

Sue from Daytona Beach

Our best spent money was joining Pacific Whale Foundation http://www.pacificwhale.org/ They have some great snorkel trips and whale watching. Very knowledgeable!

The sunrise up on Haleakala is memorable but make sure to take lots of layers. I've seen folks with their hotel blankets wrapped around them while waiting for the sunrise. If you drive up there and get cold easily wait in the car but go up early to get a spot. We did the bike ride back down, stopped 1/2 way down for breakfast and then finished the ride. http://www.bikemaui.com/ is who we used.

You will find all kinds of discounts if you buy things ahead of time, though!

Last, we loved the Maui Ocean Center but my kids were younger.

1. Pacific Whale Foundation (attraction)
  2. Haleakala (attraction)
  3. Maui Ocean Center (attraction)

Valerie from Los Angeles

I love snorkeling over by Black Rock on Kaanapali beach. The snorkeling there is better than most tours I went on and the best part...it's free! All you have to do is rent snorkel gear from your hotel. I'm sure they will have a booth for it somewhere by the pool area. 

Wake up early and catch the sunrise at Haleakalā National Park. A far drive but worth it! Tons of hiking to do around there with beautiful views. 

For good, inexpensive places to eat, check out Duke's Beach House or Leilanis on the Beach. These are close to Kaanapali beach. I remember CJ's Deli & Diner having great sandwiches, perfect for lunch! Mama's Fish House Restaurant is pretty pricey but worth mentioning if you decide to go out for a nice meal one night.

Have a great time! 

1. Black Rock (attraction)
  2. Kaanapali (city)
  3. Haleakalā National Park (park)
  4. Duke's Beach House (restaurant)
  5. Leilanis on the Beach (restaurant)
  6. CJ's Deli & Diner (restaurant)
  7. Mama's Fish House Restaurant (restaurant)

Tony from Minneapolis

I've stayed at The Westin Maui Resort & Spa a few times over the past few years and it is great! There is a Cockatoo there named Keioki and he is very friendly. If you ask him if he would like his head scratched and wave your finger at him he will come near you and bow his head so you can scratch him. As for your question - you absolutely need to make a trip to Coconut's Fish Cafe in Kihei. The absolute best fish tacos ever. It is a fast casual restaurant so not too expensive and you will not be disappointed in the food. I still think about it!

1. The Westin Maui Resort & Spa (hotel)
  2. Coconut's Fish Cafe (restaurant)