Dea

Dea from New York City asked

Best spots for hiking in Maui?

I'm looking to escape the cold for a bit sometime in the next couple of months.  Where can I find the best hiking trail in Maui?  Willing to drive far for a beautiful hike and I'm not worried about the difficulty or length.  Thanks!

Maui (Hawaii)

Aaron

Hi:  Trails to check out are, Haleakala Summit trails has over 30 miles of hiking trails and is worth your time.  They range from 10 min to overnight trips. The next is the Waihe'e Ridge Trail 5 mile round trip ascends 1500 feet through forest of Kukui.  The earlier you start the better the view of the valley with less or no clouds. Check out the Makamaka'ole falls as well on your way.  The last is just as great as the other two.  Pipiwai Trailaround 4 miles trip.  It gains 650 feet in elevation as you go.  It takes 2 and 1/2 to 5 hours depending how much you love nature.  Several great waterfalls along the way.  Check out the Waimoku Falls 400 feet down a sheer lava rock wall.

These are awesome suggestions, Aaron! Can't wait to go hiking in HI myself! By the way, I'm a community manager here and I've helped you highlight the places in your answer on a map! In the future, you can do this yourself as you answer a question by simply typing the @-symbol followed by the name of the place. Take a look at your map next to your answer :)

1. Haleakala Summit (attraction)
  2. Waihe'e Ridge Trail (attraction)
  3. Pipiwai Trail (attraction)
  4. Waimoku Falls (attraction)
Kerry

Is going to Kaua'i an option?  B/c that's where all the best hiking is! Waimea Canyon State Park, Hanakapi 'ai Falls trail, etc.  Check out Kauai.com/hikes.  Kauai is a short, inexpensive flight from Maui if you want to split your time between the 2 islands.

1. Kaua'i (attraction)
  2. Waimea Canyon State Park (attraction)
  3. Hanakapi 'ai Falls (attraction)
April from Pukalani, Hawaii

Check out Hosmer Grove if you get a chance. It's always felt a bit like a magical fantasy forest to me. I LOVE the beautiful Australian eucalyptus trees! This is the only place you'll find some non-native trees like sugi pine from Japan, deodar from India and the Douglas fir.

1. Hosmer Grove (attraction)
Brett from Long Beach

My favorite hike ever was in the crater of @Haleakala. But the standard in and out hikes aren't as great as what we did camping in the crater for two nights and coming out the Kaupo Gap.

Ed from Santa Monica

Sailed over to Maui. Docked in Kahului. Rented a PT Cruiser. On the road to Kihei...Then Big Beach..Aloha from:You'll GO YOUR WAY. I'll Go Maui. Didn't come all the way to Hawaii to eat great pizza--but we did---doubled back to PaiaPaia's Flatbread and Company, the accidental pizza maker. $40 Bucks---Why pay less. Almost Authentic Neapolitan New York Ray's; Almost Greenwich Village deep dish Stromboli's.

1. Paia (city)