Alana
Spokane

Marina Del Rey

Good waterfront restaurants?

Seeing how cold where I live right now, I'd like to experience water that's not falling on me from the sky and warmth when I visit Southern California this winter!  I'll be coming to town with a friend and would really like some names of good waterfront restaurants. Any other waterfront activity suggestions are also welcome, but mostly I'd like to find out about the restaurants. 

TJ from Marina Del Rey

Hi Alana,

Marina del Rey does not have many waterfront restaurants.  

The ocean is bordered by private homes, except for the Venice Whaler Bar & Grill, which serves bar food.  You can eat upstairs at the Whaler and have a nice view of the ocean. 

You can eat at a restaurant that borders the marina. There are a few of them but none have spectacular views of the water.  The best bet for a view is to eat at  The Cheesecake Factory and sit on the back patio.  You'll be able to see  Mother's Beach and get a good view of the sand and water.  Here's a pic I snapped from The Cheesecake Factory patio during a dinner with my family.

Another restaurant,  Chart House Restaurant (13950 Panay Way), has a back "patio" where you can sit and see some boats parked in their slips.  You may even see a sea lion or two.  

For activities in the Marina, you can rent a kayak or stand-up paddle board from  Marina Paddle.  Additionally, during the summer months, you can ride the Marina Del Rey Water Bus (web site) by paying $1 per person per one-way to get picked up at any one of their pick up spots and dropped off at another spot around the Marina.  This is a totally fun way to get from one end of the Marina to the other.

I hope this helps.  Enjoy your trip.

1. Venice Whaler Bar & Grill (attraction)
  2. The Cheesecake Factory (restaurant)
  3. Mother's Beach (attraction)
  4. Chart House Restaurant (restaurant)
  5. Marina Paddle (attraction)
  6. Marina Del Rey Water Bus (attraction)

JR from Manhattan Beach

Hey Alana. You've asked a very specific question about Marina Del Rey, but I think I might be help with some broader ideas. First off, MDR isn't the most popular are in LA to visit and while there are some restaurants around the harbor, I wouldn't necessarily recommend limiting your search to just the marina. For example, I live nearby and very rarely have ventured into MDR to eat just because there are other areas that would have better food and arguably a better scene. For example, going to nearby Venice, either Venice Beach Boardwalk or Abbot Kinney or Santa Monica's  Third Street Promenade would offer some better dining, shopping, site seeing, or going south to Manhattan Beachor Hermosa Beach for beach time and activities would probably be time better spent over the Marina. On the Venice Boardwalk you'll find a few restaurants with beach views and if you make it Manhattan Beach, the best view is  The Strand House

But if you're stuck in the Marina, there are plenty of restaurants around but I wouldn't be able to recommend any of the too highly. I think the best food would be at  Cafe Del Rey or at the  The Ritz-Carlton. There is also a  The Cheesecake Factory if you're into chains like that. Another option for a view would be the roof at the  Marriott Marina Del Rey (it's been recently remodeled so it's pretty nice for a Marriott)

Interesting side note if you're a fan Arrested Development. The location site of the original Bluth's Frozen Banana was in Marina Del Rey in the  Fisherman's Village

1. Abbot Kinney (attraction)
  2. Manhattan Beach (city)
  3. The Strand House (restaurant)
  4. Fisherman's Village (attraction)
  5. Cafe Del Rey (restaurant)
  6. The Ritz-Carlton (hotel)
  7. The Cheesecake Factory (restaurant)
  8. Marriott Marina Del Rey (hotel)
  9. Hermosa Beach (city)
  10. Third Street Promenade (attraction)
  11. Venice Beach Boardwalk (attraction)

Kristen from New York City

Some waterfront restaurants right in Marina del Rey include, Tony P's, Cafe Del Rey, the restaurant at the Ritz Carlton in Marina del Rey.

If you want to be near it, I'd suggest C&O Trattoria on washington in Venice - it's pretty close to the water and is good italian.

If you want to venture outside of Marina del Rey, You could go to Manhattan Beach and have dinner at The Strand House, overlooking the ocean!  It's a beautiful place to eat at sunset.

Hope this helps! Enjoy!

1. Cafe Del Rey (restaurant)
  2. The Strand House (restaurant)
  3. C&O Trattoria (restaurant)