Pejman
Vancouver

Maracaibo, Manaus, Brazil, Venezuela, Caracas

Traveling Venezuela overland in May/June, is it safe enough?

hi i will be bussing or possibly flying from colombia all the way to Manaus in Brasil. I really want to get to see Venezuela as well.

my plan is to go over the border to Maracaibo and make my way to Santa Elena de Uairen for the Gran Sabana and Roraima. 

what is the best way to get there? i would like to skip Caracas if possible.

Maria from Venezuela

Dear Pejman,

It is actually a pitty to answer you like this.

But currently Venezuela is passing trhough a very difficult momment.

If you do a quick search in google you migth find some articles.

Skip Venezuela if is possible.

Clary from Caracas

if you travel directly to colombia passing the border of Maracaibo you can go to visit the national park of Catatumbo the record guinness famous park, you have to be on safe not touching the capital cities of the rest of places you have to visit to go Santa Elena de Uairen, then passing in there you can visit Santa Bárbara del Zulia, on bus to El Vigia, i repeat again don't visit capital cities becuase isn't safe for you in this days i don't know if El vigia is safe but is a nice place, you have two option to continue your travel skipping Caracas, Valencia and other sea states, one of my options is Valera another mountain state, or the other passing the capital city of Merida until Barinas, then in the final you can visit Apure state to connect to Bolivar state there is another option to travel by plane is to go nearly my first option until El Vigia until Puerto Ordaz, (this is a city on Bolivar state), travel by bus to Santa Elena de Uairén and start your journey..my country is a bit safe just not touching the capital cities..i'm glad that you visit my place and i hope you got it my options and my country too.. cheers..clary 

1. Maracaibo (city)
  2. Catatumbo (metro area)
  3. Santa Elena de Uairen (city)
  4. Santa Bárbara del Zulia (city)
  5. El Vigia (city)
  6. Valera (attraction)
  7. Merida (city)
  8. Apure (state)
  9. Puerto Ordaz (city)
  10. Barinas (city)

Cherry from Caracas

You'll be relatively safe as long as you travel during daytime hours, but never carry high amounts of money with you, you'll find ATM's in most towns and is better to have local money. Don't flash your dollars!  Also, don't wear any jewelry or expensive looking watches. Do not travel at night! Plan your trip in order to spend night hours and sleep in a medium-size town. Be aware that May/June is rainy season.

Ricardo from Colombia

Nowadays Venezuelan Cities are really dangerous, more to tourist or foreigners asking things and speaking another languages than spanish. If you con from Maracaibo, you´ll have to croos all the country from west to east, following the line coast, until you reach the city of Puerto la cruz. Then you way is going south to the city of Puerto Ordaz. Then you are near (relatively) from Santa Elena de Uairen. It will take around 20 hours to get there from Maracaibo. Public transportation usually travel during nights. I hope to have been useful. 

1. Maracaibo (city)
  2. Puerto la cruz (attraction)
  3. Puerto Ordaz (city)
  4. Santa Elena de Uairen (city)