Megan

Megan from Los Angeles asked

Cheap or Free things to do in Manly Beach or Sydney Australia

I will be in Manly Beach from February 12th to the 17th. As a poor backpacker I am looking for cheap or free things to do in Manly or in Sydney. Also, it will be my boyfriend and I's two year anniversary so if you have any suggestions of nice restaurants or fun things to do that would be great. 

Manly (Australia)

Helen from Sydney

Whenever I need a cheap activity in Sydney I like to jump on a ferry and go exploring. These might be of interest:

• Take the ferry to  Cockatoo Island*, a spooky world heritage site full of old convict and shipbuilding structures to explore. You can take a self-guided (free!) or audio tour ($8 for two people). Check out the official website for more info.

Also, whilst you're here  Darling Harbour is holding a bunch of 'Month of Love' festivities including film screenings, fireworks, a 'romantic bridge', a rose show - and most of it is free. Plus if you're looking for something special for your anniversary, you can hire a rowboat at twilight for $25. Check it all out here.

You can plan all your ferry trips here.

*from Manly Wharf you'll go via Circular Quay

Megan
Helen these all sounds awesome. Thanks for your help. Especially the row boat idea that sounds perfect and very us!

1. Cockatoo Island (attraction)
  2. Royal Botanic Gardens (attraction)
  3. State Library of New South Wales (attraction)
  4. Darling Harbour (attraction)
  5. Manly Wharf (attraction)
  6. Circular Quay (attraction)
Jon

Take a walk to  North Head. Amazing views of  Sydney Harbour.

David
Well actually my ebook Sydney Outdoor Adventures (it's on Amazon and Apply Store) has lots of mostly free outdoor stuff to do. Here's some non-outdoor stuff: 1. Restaurants: Ananas (in the Rocks), Cheeky Czech in Newtown, Chinatown has loads of cheap places to eat, Fish and Chips (such as at Balmoral Beach, or at Manly). Lots of pubs have good food too. 2. Architecture: Queen Victoria Building (head to the upper levels), the area around the rocks, the Art Gallery and Museum are also interesting buildings.

1. North Head (attraction)
  2. Sydney Harbour (attraction)
Candy from Singapore

The free walking tours in Sydney is a must-do for backpackers! They pick up people from hostels around Sydney and walk towards the city with an in-depth history and informative tour. Interesting and cheap way to explore the city with locals!

Candy
oh and if i'm not wrong Domino's pizza has 1 for 1 or half price on Wednesdays. (I think its weds argh cant really remember) Look out for that - it's cheap and good in my opinion. As my group and I lasted mostly on our own cooking, it's unfortunate I don't have any restaurants to recommend.

Alica from Australia

The following are the places where you get healthy food in nominal ranges.
1. Marrickville Pork Roll
2. Al Dhiaffah Al Iraqi, Fairfield
3. Chinese Noodle Restaurant, Haymarket
4. Chur Burger, Surry Hills

1. Marrickville Pork Roll (attraction)
  2. Al Dhiaffah Al Iraqi (restaurant)
  3. Chinese Noodle Restaurant (restaurant)
  4. Chur Burger (restaurant)