Manila

What's the best neighborhood in Manila for a first time visitor?

I've never been to Manila and I'm a little overwhelmed by all the hotel options. I'd like to stay in a hotel that is central and gives me good sense of what Manila is like. I'd love to know where locals tell their friends to stay when they visit, and why those areas and hotels are special. thanks!

Jae from Singapore

As several people have already pointed out, Makati City is a relatively safe area to stay in. Within this area is the Ayala MuseumLegazpi Sunday Market, V.A. Rufino Street, Makati, NCR, Philippines, as well as a bunch of the nicer and fancier malls. It's also not terribly far from the airport. From this region, a taxi to Intramuros should only be a few dollars. 

An even newer (and safer) area to stay is Bonifacio Global City. It's main advantage is that it's close to the airport and safe. 

Getting around may be a challenge, so I'd highly recommend you get a SIM card and use uber/grabtaxi whilst there so that you don't end up waiting hours for a taxi.

1. Makati City (city)
  2. Ayala Museum (attraction)
  3. Intramuros (attraction)
  4. Bonifacio Global City (attraction)

Nelson Perez

Manila is a safe place if you do not flash your cards, jewelries and cash, however it is better to be alert than sorry. So here it is, Bonifacio Global City -Taguig Metro Manila,

Makati City please follow this link - http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g298450-Activities-Makati_Metro_Manila_Luzon.html,

Lungsod ng Pasay mostly in the reclaimed Area where you can find  The Mall Of Asia Bay Amusement Park, Star City, Cultural Center of the Philippines, City of Dreams Manila, Solaire Resort and Casino, The Wine Museum, Spas like Queen Touch Massage Service rated number 1,

For best Manila guided tours - try Walk this way - http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g298573-d2394485-Reviews-Walk_This_Way-Manila_Metro_Manila_Luzon.html

Hope you visit the islands of Cebu, Bohol, boracay, El Nido, Coron I am sure you will enjoy the beaches.

Enjoy.

1. Manila (attraction)
  2. Makati City (city)
  3. Lungsod ng Pasay (attraction)
  4. Star City (attraction)
  5. Cultural Center of the Philippines (attraction)
  6. City of Dreams Manila (hotel)
  7. Solaire Resort and Casino (attraction)
  8. The Wine Museum (attraction)
  9. Queen Touch Massage Service (attraction)
  10. Cebu (attraction)
  11. Bohol (attraction)
  12. boracay (attraction)
  13. El Nido (city)
  14. Coron (attraction)

Pejay from Davao City

Metro Manila is the "centre" of Manila. This is where you want to go as a tourist. As Metro Manila is really big, get a hotel in the districts Manila or Makati City. These are also the safest districts for a westener.

1. Manila (attraction)
  2. Makati City (city)

Senior from Trier, Germany

1. Makati City (city)

Siti Sarah Nur Aiman from Kuala Lumpur

I just got back from Manila and i stayed at the The Executive Plaza Hotel in Malate. I'm not sure if it is central like what you mean but for me that place is okay since it is quite near to the BDO Robinson Place Ermita. Plus transportation is not a problem since you can easily get taxi and LRT is also quite near. Plus Intramuros and the SM Mall of Asia is also nearby. If you are looking for a tourist spot, you should go to Mabini but it is a bit expensive. If you are looking for going on tours, i suggest you try Smokey Tours. They offer different tours such as the Cemetery tour, Prison Tour, Slum Tour, Cockfighting tour and Market tour at a reasonable price. Hope this helps. :)

1. The Executive Plaza Hotel (hotel)
  2. BDO Robinson Place Ermita (restaurant)
  3. Intramuros (attraction)
  4. SM Mall of Asia (attraction)
  5. Mabini (attraction)