Luke
Saint Petersburg (Florida)

Manhattan, New York City

What are the best hotels under $200/night in Manhattan?

I have several work-related trips I need to make to the city this year and I need to find a couple of clean, safe hotels in the city that are under $200/night to stay within budget. I know this is a tall order but I'm hoping someone can help me. I'd love as many ideas as possible since these places always seem to fill up so fast! The only thing I don't want to do is stay outside the city because I don't want to spend time commuting. 

Hey Luke, check out the Herald Square Hotel in Midtown.  I stayed there over New Years for about $130'ish including tax and all!  New Years of all times!  The hotel is very centrally located by many subway stations, as well as the Penn Station, which was fantastic for me because I arrived by Amtrak and ended up being able to walk to the hotel from the station.  It's in a pretty hip and happening area with plenty of stores, restaurants and people. The rooms are tiny and the amenities are sparse, but if you're looking for an inexpensive and safe hotel to stay at in NYC and you don't mind a few missing amenities, then I'd recommend looking into this place.

Bonus points for the good customer service, free wifi, and free candy and coffee machine in the lobby :)

1. Herald Square Hotel (hotel)

Barbara from Cambridge (Massachusetts)

Hotels are expensive because of all the taxes added on to base room price. You can try discount hotel sites to see what they offer. In that price range , they may be over in Brooklyn etc. Have you thought about AIRBNB? People on this site rent out a room in their apt or house for a very reasonable fee. You can choose the part of the city you would like to be in and how much you want to spend. They will give you a list of rooms available for the dates you will be there. Good Luck

LV from Huntington Beach

Keep checking hotwire.com, I found a four star hotel just a few blocks from Times Square for $99/night. Check hotwire first, then bid your own price at Priceline at 20% under hotwire's price - I'm at ~85% success rate. 

Hope that helps!

1. Times Square (metro area)

Melissa

Don't know exactly where you need to be for work, but if you want clean, safe & comfortable, the Lucerne Hotel at W. 79th & Broadway is great- good rooms and really good restaurants surround it. It's convenient to the 1,2,3 subway, Central Park, close to Lincoln Center. Personally (as a former resident) I'd not stay near Times Square. I checked rates- start about $179 online but you could always ask for business rates. Hotel taxes add up, so do ask about the total to avoid shock.

1. Central Park (attraction)
  2. Lincoln Center (attraction)
  3. Lucerne Hotel (hotel)

Laura from Atlanta

The Novotel New York Times Square can have some good rates. Nice hotel, good location, restaurant looks out over Times Square.

1. Novotel New York Times Square (hotel)
  2. Times Square (metro area)

Egle

I recommend airbnb and staying at someone's apartment.

Kristin from New York City

Nu Hotel is usually pretty affordable and is a very simply boutique hotel in a great Brooklyn location. Understood it's not in Manhattan, but it's so close by downtown and to a bunch of subways, you'd spend almost no time on a commute (depending on where you're headed).

You should keep an eye on the HotelsTonight app. It's very useful for finding great prices last minute. 

1. Nu Hotel (hotel)

Toufic from Lebanon

it depends on the date. I stayed at  The Westin New York at Times Square on two adjacent dates and the bill was very different. 191 usd and 361 usd Company was paying the second one :). it's a very good location and the rooms are great. it's worth checking the rates there might get lucky.

Here's a pic from the room... 

1. The Westin New York at Times Square (hotel)

Kris from New York City

Checkout the app Hotel Tonight. Theres usually multiple options in NYC under $200 for that night

John from Guayaquil

Hey Luke,

Why don't you try Hotwire and Priceline, i always find the best deals there for shure.

Gina from Long Island (New York)

Try Pod 39 or The Pod 51 Hotel - great locations and a good value.  Have recommended it to out of towners before and they really like it.  

1. Pod 39 (hotel)
  2. The Pod 51 Hotel (hotel)