Tanya
Ottawa

Manhattan

Experience the city like a New Yorker?

Will be staying in midtown east for three days in late November and this will be my fourth visit to this city. Although one day is dedicated to shopping, would really like to experience it less like a tourist...ideas?

Sarah

Hi Tanya,

Bryant Park will be open for ice skating - go at night and it's pretty magical. If the weather is warm, try going to High Line Park - it's an above-ground park built on some old railroad tracks. 

1. Bryant Park (attraction)
  2. High Line Park (attraction)

Annemarie from New York City

Tanya, I'm going to piggy-back on Rodger's response and tell you to come visit the outer boros.

In Queens, take a trip out to Jackson Heights, NY, which is a little India neighborhood with a lot of great kitschy shops and a great choice of Indian restaurants. Or, visit Flushing: try the dimsum at the New World Mall Food Court, a food court of Asian cuisine.

Or, go to Brooklyn, grab a slice of cajun pizza at Two Boots and buy a cool souviner at The Brooklyn Superhero Supply Store.

If you're feeling really adventurous, come visit me in Staten Island, grab an authentic dinner at Enoteca Maria where a different Italian grandmother cooks every night, and hike the Greenbelt Trail.

Enjoy your stay!

1. Flushing (neighborhood)
  2. Brooklyn (neighborhood)
  3. The Brooklyn Superhero Supply Store (attraction)
  4. Staten Island (island)
  5. Jackson Heights, NY (attraction)
  6. New World Mall Food Court (attraction)
  7. Two Boots (restaurant)
  8. Enoteca Maria (restaurant)
  9. Greenbelt Trail (attraction)

Juergen

Hi Tanya,

if you're into good drinks and hanging with locals, I suggest B-Side, a little cool bar on Avenue B in the East Village.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/B-side/105440969492907

If you're into museums but want to avoid crowds, visit the Rubin Museum of Art, it's one of New Yorks most beautiful museum that not a lot of tourists know about.

http://www.rmanyc.org/

1. Rubin Museum of Art (attraction)
  2. B-Side (attraction)

Hello Tanya!!

Take a long walk inside Central Park. Everytime I visit the city, I always take 2-3 hours in the morning, grab a sandwich and a hot chocolate enjoy the park (start from The Pond, The Mall, Bethesda fountain, and keep going until you pass the softball fields, Strawberry fields, The lake, the bow bridge, turtle pond,Belvedere castle, etc.).  Central Park

I will also recommend to take a walk along the 1 mile High Line Park. To me, fall is one of the most beautiful times of year to visit the High Line. It opens from 7am to 10pm and you can gaze starts, planets, and moon through the telescopes. Of course you can shop, have lunch or dinner.  High Line Park

Enjoy it!!

1. Central Park (attraction)
  2. High Line Park (attraction)

Rodger from Beverly Hills

Tanya,

A really cool and (cheap) thing to do is to take the Staten Island Ferry just to check out the city from the water.  So cool.

RB

1. Staten Island Ferry (attraction)

katie from Brooklyn

Check out the speakeasy Attaboy. It's in the old Milk & Honey space down in the Lower East Side. You tell them the type of drink you like and they whip up something special. Really unique experience in my book.

1. Attaboy (attraction)