Birk
Minneapolis

Manhattan Beach, Los Angeles

Looking for fun insider tips to impress my girlfriend

So... I have an amazing girlfriend who lives in Manhattan Beach. I am trying to visit her and her family but I don't want the visit to be overshadowed by my ignorance. Can anyone could hook me up with with some relatively intimate information and recommendations about Manhattan Beach and the surrounding area? Any and all information is greatly appreciated. 

Susan from Manhattan Beach

More votes for the great places: 

1. Fishing with Dynamite - order the squash rolls, hamachi, and brownie dessert. You'll be a winner all around.

2. MB Post - order the biscuits, brussel sprouts, steak and broccolini, old george (cocktail), and if you happen to be there for brunch, order everything on the menu.

3. Simmzy's - stop here first for a craft beer or glass of sangria. or end the night here. Either way, it's got a great vibe and some very boutique beers. 

1. Fishing with Dynamite (restaurant)
  2. MB Post (restaurant)
  3. Simmzy's (restaurant)

Valerie from Los Angeles

You sound like a lucky man! 

Manhattan Beach is one of my favorite beach towns in Southern California, it's such a beautiful area. 

What I love the most about it is that everyone is so relaxed in terms of personality and style.

If you're looking to impress your pretty lady, I would take her to The Strand House on Manhattan Beach Blvd. Its a great spot with delicious food and a breathtaking ocean view.

A new spot I went to recently that I think she would love, is Fishing with Dynamite. Its a seafood restaurant with an East Coast vibe. The food and drinks were superb and they have the best playlist. I was dancing in my seat the entire time.

Another place I love to dine at is MB Post. They have bacon cheddar biscuits...'nuff said. 

If you both have a sweet tooth, grab some ice cream at the Manhattan Beach Creamery. They have a wide variety of ice cream, candy, and other baked goods! 

Lastly, if you really want to impress your amazing girlfriend, I would make a stop at the Manhattan Village Florist :) Actually, you should go here first

Hope you have a great time visiting! 

1. The Strand House (restaurant)
  2. Fishing with Dynamite (restaurant)
  3. MB Post (restaurant)
  4. Manhattan Beach Creamery (restaurant)
  5. Manhattan Village Florist (attraction)

Christian from Manhattan Beach

Take the parents out for brunch at Uncle Bill's Pancake House. If they have grandchildren, buy them ice cream sandwiches at Manhattan Beach Creamery and then go body surfing next to the Manhattan Beach Pier. Just watch out for Great White Sharks!If you want to splurge, Fishing with Dynamite is one of the most interesting restaurants in Los Angeles - and just a few blocks from Manhattan Beach Boulevard.

Simmzy's is less expensive and more energetic - it's also a younger crowd where your girlfriend might see a few of her friends. The 15-minute wings are incredible, and the Bloody Mary is great for Sunday brunch.

Manhattan Beach can be a bit slow, so take your girlfriend up to Abbot Kinney for some great espresso at Intelligentsia Coffee - and if she's up for the drive to Malibu, you can start a perfect date at The Getty Center, then go hiking Escondido Falls, and relax for a few hours at Point Dume State Beach before your dinner at Mr Chow - Malibu.

1. Uncle Bill's Pancake House (restaurant)
  2. Manhattan Beach Creamery (restaurant)
  3. Manhattan Beach Pier (attraction)
  4. Fishing with Dynamite (restaurant)
  5. Simmzy's (restaurant)
  6. Intelligentsia Coffee (restaurant)
  7. The Getty Center (attraction)
  8. Escondido Falls (attraction)
  9. Point Dume State Beach (attraction)
  10. Mr Chow - Malibu (restaurant)
  11. Abbot Kinney (attraction)

Emily from Los Angeles, California

MB Post is where you want to go for dinner, one of the best restaurants in the area. it's a pretty small town, manhattan beach ave. has all of the restaurants in a few mile stretch

1. MB Post (restaurant)

Brew from Manhattan Beach

The other posters nailed this answer in terms of restaurants.  Fishing with Dynamite and MB Post are the best restaurants in town.  Tough to get table, but they take walk ins (normally long wait).  

If you put your name in and need to kill some time, walk down to the end of the Manhattan Beach Pier where you'll find the Roundhouse Marine Lab & Aquarium, a little free aquarium with touch tanks, etc.  Nice little diversion.

Breakfast-wise, I personally love North End Caffe in north Manhattan Beach (good for sandwiches/salads at lunch too).   

Another place that is fun and right across the street is Little Sister, which is south east asian cuisine, plays hip hop music and is pretty solid. 

The Strandhouse has insane views, good food, etc.  Good for a drink and a snack to take in the views.

If you want to slum it and grab a drink, Shellback Tavern is the go to dive bar, during the day or at night.

One thing I would definitely recommend is riding bikes.  Manhattan Beach is blessed with the The Strand, which is a bike and walking path that runs to Hermosa Beach and on further to Redondo BeachThere's nothing like hopping on a bike on a nice day and riding to go grab lunch or dinner somewhere.  If you want some options in Hermosa, Palmilla Cocina Y Tequila and Día de Campo have really good, high-end Mexican and are a scene (especially Dia de Campo). 

1. Fishing with Dynamite (restaurant)
  2. Manhattan Beach Pier (attraction)
  3. Roundhouse Marine Lab & Aquarium (attraction)
  4. North End Caffe (restaurant)
  5. Little Sister (restaurant)
  6. The Strandhouse (attraction)
  7. Shellback Tavern (attraction)
  8. The Strand (attraction)
  9. Hermosa Beach (city)
  10. Redondo Beach (city)
  11. Palmilla Cocina Y Tequila (restaurant)
  12. Día de Campo (restaurant)
  13. MB Post (restaurant)

Sara from Hermosa Beach

Manhattan Beachand Hermosa Beach are basically neighbors, so a lot of things to do between the two of them!

I would recommend going out to these restaurants, bars and places when you come to visit!

Dinner & Night life:

Hermosa - Ocean Bar & Lounge, American Junkie, Baja Sharkeez, Palmilla Cocina Y Tequila, Establishment, Mediterraneo  

Manhattan - Shellback Tavern for casual, The Strandhouse, Shade Hotel, Rock & BrewsRock'N Fish Restaurant, Fusion Sushi, MB Post, Fishing with Dynamite

Activities:

Hike in Terranea Trail and Trump National Golf Club for free - beautiful views.  You can stop to have lunch at Nelson's in Terranea for a reasonable price.

Rent a paddleboard and go in either the redondo harbor or out in the ocean

Get out of the beach area and go visit the Getty Villa in Malibu Beach or the Getty Museum.

1. Manhattan Beach (city)
  2. Hermosa Beach (city)
  3. Ocean Bar & Lounge (attraction)
  4. American Junkie (restaurant)
  5. Baja Sharkeez (attraction)
  6. Palmilla Cocina Y Tequila (restaurant)
  7. Establishment (restaurant)
  8. Mediterraneo (restaurant)
  9. Shellback Tavern (attraction)
  10. The Strandhouse (attraction)
  11. Shade Hotel (hotel)
  12. Rock & Brews (attraction)
  13. Rock'N Fish Restaurant (restaurant)
  14. Fusion Sushi (restaurant)
  15. MB Post (restaurant)
  16. Fishing with Dynamite (restaurant)
  17. Terranea Trail (attraction)
  18. Trump National Golf Club (attraction)
  19. Nelson's (restaurant)
  20. Getty Villa (attraction)
  21. Malibu Beach (attraction)
  22. Getty Museum (attraction)

Margot from Los Angeles

Manhattan Beach is a beautiful, but congested beach community.  Parking is always a challenge.  Lots of cute shops and restaurants on Manhattan Ave. MB Post is an excellent restaurant - I highly recommend it. Watch out for sharks in the water.   

Like most CA beach communities, there is a very easy going, laid back vibe.  Leave any Type-A tendencies at home and enjoy the view and a margarita.

1. MB Post (restaurant)

Mike from Manhattan Beach

Here's some cool insider info. Waikiki in Hawaii didn't have a sand beach, so in the 1940's they bought sand from Manhattan Beach to make their beach, so Waikiki is really made of our sand.

1. Waikiki (neighborhood)
  2. Manhattan Beach (city)

Eric from Los Angeles

Great area. I used to live between the Manhattan Beach Pier and Hermosa Beach Pier. Tons to do.

I'd recommend renting bikes from the Hermosa pier and riding the boardwalk up to Manhattan pier on a Saturday or Sunday. Great scenery, and you can lock up the bikes to get lunch/dinner.

Restaurants... if you like sushi, The Izaka-ya By Katsu-ya is really great. For an incredible ocean-view, can't go wrong with The Strandhouse. I also love Manhattan BrewCo.'s upscale bar food. Enjoy your trip!

1. Manhattan Beach Pier (attraction)
  2. Hermosa Beach Pier (attraction)
  3. The Izaka-ya By Katsu-ya (restaurant)
  4. The Strandhouse (attraction)
  5. Manhattan BrewCo. (restaurant)

Drew from Los Angeles

Hey Birk, 

Check out our blog MrandMrsAdventure.com We have tips and ideas for great activities in the SoCal area. I would recommend that you rent bikes and ride up and down the boardwalk up to Venice. Also, checkout the Tin Roof Bistro for a great dinner. 

1. Tin Roof Bistro (restaurant)