Gordon
Ojai

Gordon from Ojai asked

Anniversary Weekend Ideas?

Planning an anniversary weekend or day trip to Manhattan Beach and would love some recommendations on fun daily activities and most importantly FOOD!

I am really interested in an all day affair so ideas about breakfast, brunch, lunch and dinner are all welcome. Love anything that is farm to table and preferably with a good view and/or fun vibe; nothing up tight or too rowdy.

In between snacking I'm look for some fun activities: bike rentals, maybe some beach activities, a couple of fun streets with good galleries or something uniquely MB.

Thanks for the help!

Manhattan Beach   Los Angeles

JR from Manhattan Beach

Hey Gordon. Sounds like a great day/weekend. Here's one thing to keep in mind. May/June traditionally has morning fog, called "June Gloom" so take that into account if you're coming down during early summer. 

If you stay the night and make a weekend, the best option in Manhattan Beach is Shade Hotel.It's very central (walking to everything) and they have bikes you can rent to go exploring on the strand a bit. A secondary option in MB is Sea View Inn At the Beach.It's in north manhattan beach (a mile or so from downtown MB), but also has bikes you can use to cruise around.

Another option could be the Beach House Hotel Hermosa Beach.
It's on the beach with great ocean front views.

Prices would be Shade, then Beach House, then Sea View. 

For stuff to do, definitely take a bike and ride down to Hermosa Beach Pier and if you want to explore more you can go down to the Redondo Beach Pier (although you need to ride on the street for a part of it and it can get a little more dicey down there, but Naja's Place is one of the finer beer bars in the south bay).

Hermosa Pier has some places to people watch and grab a beer, I like the craft, draft selection at Mediterraneo.If you need to rent a bike you can get one at Fun Bunns.

As far as food in Manhattan Beach, here's your best options. Breakfast - Uncle Bill's Pancake House is the classic greasy spoon if you're feeling that,

but I prefer North End Caffe for breakfast.If you can wait until brunch, get a reservation at MB Post as it doesn't disappoint and then you don't need to go there for dinner (although it's great for dinner too). 

For lunch, Simmzy's is the tip, duh. For dinner, I'd get a reservation at Fishing with Dynamite and you can make it a full Chef David day (he owns both Post and FwD).

Other options would be Greek at Petros (great greek food, more low key atmosphere than other places in town),
The Strand House (food keeps getting better and it's the best view in MB. If you don't go to Strand House for dinner at least go upstairs for drink during sunset for the view)
or Little Sister (asian fusion and tasty).Other things to do with your girl would be Trilogy Spa for massages and go check out the fish at the aquarium at the end of the Manhattan Beach Pier.As far as galleries go, MB doesn't have ton, but the photographer Bo Bridges has a storefront with some interesting pieces at Bo Bridges Gallery

Have fun guys!!

Brew
Strong, strong answer. I cannot disagree with anything said here.

Gordon
This pretty much killed it for MB recommendations. I feel like I could do a whole food tour of the area and then go pass out at the spa for a break.

TJ
+1 for Mediterraneo... they have great bloody marys.

Trevor
Why don't I live in Manhattan Beach?! All great answers.

1. Shade Hotel (hotel)
  2. Sea View Inn At the Beach (hotel)
  3. Beach House Hotel Hermosa Beach (hotel)
  4. Hermosa Beach Pier (attraction)
  5. Redondo Beach Pier (restaurant)
  6. Naja's Place (restaurant)
  7. Mediterraneo (restaurant)
  8. Fun Bunns (attraction)
  9. Uncle Bill's Pancake House (restaurant)
  10. North End Caffe (restaurant)
  11. MB Post (restaurant)
  12. Simmzy's (restaurant)
  13. Fishing with Dynamite (restaurant)
  14. Petros (restaurant)
  15. The Strand House (restaurant)
  16. Little Sister (restaurant)
  17. Trilogy Spa (attraction)
  18. Manhattan Beach Pier (attraction)
  19. Bo Bridges Gallery (attraction)
Kate from Hermosa Beach

For food you should check out MB Post the cheddar bacon rolls are suppose to be out of the world.  I wouldn't know since I am a vegetarian.  Fishing with Dynamite is another great restaurant.  The Strand House has amazing views.  Another few options Tin Roof Bistro has great brussel sprouts and if you get there before 6 pm (i think) you can have a cocktail and play bocci ball.   Very fun. 

I can attest to those cheddar bacon rolls at MB Post. So good. Apparently they also make eggs benedict with them during brunch time!

Gordon
Just checked out their brunch menu. It looks amazing.

1. MB Post (restaurant)
  2. Fishing with Dynamite (restaurant)
  3. The Strand House (restaurant)
  4. Tin Roof Bistro (restaurant)
Brande from Manhattan Beach

A popular breakfast place is Uncle Bill's Pancake House and it's just a few blocks from the beach and has the view you requested!!!  For dinner check out MB Post - it is quite popular as well, communal seating, eclectic menu pairings and is in the village so close to shopping, the beach, bike rentals.

Gordon
Thanks for the recommendation! :)

I second MB Post......and add Salt Creek Grille. I love the food at both, but keep in mind, both can get pretty crowded--not really rowdy, though so I think you'll be OK.

1. MB Post (restaurant)
  2. Salt Creek Grille (restaurant)
Katie from Amherst (Massachusetts)

Uncle Bill's Pancake House is a Manhattan Beach institution, however, if the wait is too long you should head over to either Four Daughters Kitchen or North End Caffe for a delicious brunch. For dinner, I would recommend Tin Roof Bistro. Order the brussels sprouts!

North End Caffe has the best sandwiches!!

1. Uncle Bill's Pancake House (restaurant)
  2. Four Daughters Kitchen (restaurant)
  3. North End Caffe (restaurant)
  4. Tin Roof Bistro (restaurant)
Fern

The Strand House is a GREAT RESTAURANT with a fabulous view. Sunsets are perfect.

1. The Strand House (restaurant)