Managua

What's the best neighborhood in Managua for a first time visitor?

I've never been to Managua and I'm a little overwhelmed by all the hotel options. I'd like to stay in a hotel that is central and gives me good sense of what Managua is like. I'd love to know where locals tell their friends to stay when they visit, and why those areas and hotels are special. thanks!

Fran

You need to visit the port of Puerto Salvador Allende,
It is a magical place ... you can go by boat, gocarts and enjoy Nicaraguan food and culture ..

1. Puerto Salvador Allende (attraction)

Esmeralda from Managua, Managua

hello in managua you can stay i to metrocentro mall  from there everithing is close  but the best places is Granada outside of managua

Stines from Tilburg, Netherlands

I would stay in Backpackers Inn or Backpackers Manahuac if you are on a budget. Those two are close to the bar/restaurant area Hippos. If you have a bit more to spend you could find some beter hotels in Zona Hippos area or try Hotel Mozonte or Europeo but those neighborhoods are less attractive. As a first time foreign visitor in Managua I would recommend you not to walk around at any time, take a taxi. 

1. Backpackers Inn (hotel)
  2. Backpackers Manahuac (hotel)
  3. Zona Hippos (attraction)
  4. Hotel Mozonte (hotel)
  5. Europeo (hotel)