Heather
Poipu

Heather from Poipu asked

How do I fly to the MALDIVES (MLE) from LAX?

Hi guys - looking for flight itinerary and airline recs to get there this summer.  Who has been there? There are two of us going to dive.  Looking for least expensive, but will pay a bit more if faster (less stopover time) and more comfortable.  Looking like Singapore air may be best bet but would love more input - thanks!

Maldives   Los Angeles (California)

Victoria from Riga

Heather, you should call consolidators (888-585-2727) who can find you discounted non-exchangeable contracts with airlines if you want to save and you guys are flexible with dates. If they don't have some discount on your dates, check online. I'd go through Kuala Lumpur (KUL) or (CAN) Guangzhou, or (HKG) Hong Kong International.

I prefer to stop for a day or two in some nice Asian city, explore it and try local food, shop maybe and then continue my travel.

All in all, after experiencing longhaul flights for many years, it is really the best to pay a bit for comfort rather than save a hundred bucks for long wait or exausting multiple stops.

I have been there with husband, we stayed at Kurumba (Vihamanafushi, North Male' Atoll) and it was so romantic. I absolutely recommend going for the night fishing, so much fun.

Heather
Thanks for the tips! It is looking like through Hong Kong on Cathay Pacific is our best option right now, we have to be in Male on certain dates to catch and depart from our dive boat.

1. Kurumba (hotel)
Brett from Long Beach

Emirates via Dubai or Turkish via Istanbul are great ways to fly from LAX Los Angeles International, but pricing will vary depending upon when you fly and what class of service you want.  Cathay Pacific is good too if you go the other way around.  All will have longer layovers.  If you're trying to save money, look for an airline to get you to Dubai and then fly low cost carrier flyDubai from there.

Heather
Thanks Brett, I will check Emirates out too, have not flown them yet.

1. Dubai (city)
  2. Istanbul (city)
  3. LAX Los Angeles International (address)
Sanne from Spain

Have you tried skyscanner.com?

It's the website I use for most flights, including my flights to the Maldives.

Where are you staying in the Maldives and how are you getting there? Resorts that require a sea plane transfer often only offer that transfer once a day and if your flight arrives too late they will make you stay in a local hotel for a night. And where I would normally see that as a nice way of seeing more than one place believe me, they will probably recommend you staying in airport hotel HIH and that really isn't worth wasting a night on!

Anyway, I lived in the Maldives for almost a year so if you have any questions about the Maldives just send me an email at info@spendlifetraveling.com 

Sanne

Heather
thanks for the skyscanner tip, will check it for next time I do a big trip. did a liveaboard dive boat in the maldives, so we were all over - manta and whale shark sitings, plus gorgeous reefs. :) :) :)

Katherine from Santa Monica

We flew Singapore and it was something we probably wouldnt do again. We stopped in Singapore to break it up a little, but the return flight is sooo long. I think next time we would take Emirates. There is a direct flight to Dubai and then to Malé. I think Ithiad is also doing that but they arent as inexpensive as Emirates.

1. Dubai (city)
  2. Malé (city)
Joseph from Los Angeles

Cathay Pacific LAX-HKG-MLE is probably best...

Heather
Thanks - that is exactly what I ended up booking. :)