isa
France

Malaysia

What is the best way to see Malaysia in 3 weeks?

...including landscape, nice beach, meeting people, culture... Is it worth it going to the Borneo Island? Is the weather ok in August?

Jackie from Seremban

I agree with Claus re: places to see - my personal favourite is Malacca though fair warning - the city comes alive on weekends with its markets etc; if you're there for a couple of days in the middle of the week it may come across as a bit sedate. Penang is great and has some wonderful beachside resorts. I was in Borneo for 4 days a few months ago - first time ever - and absolutely fell in love with Sabah. I stayed at the Shangri-La's Rasa Ria Resort - Kota Kinabalu which is about 45 minutes from the city and has its own orang utan sanctuary. Other places if you want to go off the beaten track a little - Perak (capital city is Ipoh, but lots of other interesting places to see there too including the Belum Rainforest Resort).

I was in Kelantan for the first time ever recently as well and the food is sensational; it was recently hit by very bad floods though, so not sure if things will be back to normal by the time of your trip. Kelantan is probably the most conservative state in Malaysia - no movie theaters etc. - and its economy is agrarian so you won't get shiny new malls like in Kuala Lumpur; the men don't shake hands with women and you're generally advised to wear appropriate clothing, not that you'll get in trouble, but just as a sign of respect. I did not feel stifled at all, in fact the people were some of the friendliest I've ever met anywhere and I'm definitely planning to go back.

1. Malacca (state)
  2. Penang (city)
  3. Borneo (attraction)
  4. Sabah (city)
  5. Shangri-La's Rasa Ria Resort - Kota Kinabalu (hotel)
  6. Perak (state)
  7. Belum Rainforest Resort (hotel)
  8. Kelantan (state)

Dalila from Shah Alam, Malaysia

Hi Isa! I think 3 weeks is good enough for you to explore Malaysia. You maybe can arrange yourself by spending each week to each region for example: one week in nothern of Malaysia,you can go to Penang and Ipoh. very beautiful culture and FOOD! another one week to east cost of Malaysia, Kelantan/ Terengganu. you can go to beautiful island: Perhentian Islands and Redang Island. and last but not least, a week in Borneo. Beautiful island and rainforest. 

1. Penang (city)
  2. Ipoh (city)
  3. Kelantan (state)
  4. Terengganu (state)
  5. Perhentian Islands (attraction)
  6. Redang Island (island)
  7. Borneo (attraction)

August is a good month to visit Borneo as it's dry season that time of year.

Both the peninsula and Borneo are interesting to visit and if you need it then a domestic flight is very cheap in Malaysia.

My personal favorite places in Malaysia are Penang Kuala Lumpur Melaka Kuching and Kota Kinabalu when we are talking culture and good food.

And meeting people in Malaysia is generally quite easy as most malaysians speak good english and have a high standard of education compared to most other asian countries.

1. Penang (city)
  2. Kuala Lumpur (city)
  3. Melaka (attraction)
  4. Kuching (city)
  5. Kota Kinabalu (city)

Phil from Seattle

I would highly recommend the Perhentian Islands if you where after a quiet beach break. Its only a small island which is good to meet people as it is quite intimate. The weather was awesome when I visited in July. I wrote about it in slightly more detail on my travel blog if you wanted to check that out... http://travel-slice.com/perhentian-travel-blog/

1. Perhentian Islands (attraction)