Sathish
Chennai

Malaysia, Singapore

Important places to visit, and those that are a waste of time?

We're headed for our childrens vacation to Malaysia and Singapore. It's a short trip of 8 days, and I'm staying with Airbnb. I'm also accompanied by my mom (senior citizen).

My plan is to spend 4 days in KL, take the night train to reach Singapore for 4 days.

Plans in KL are:

Hop-on-hop-off tour on a bus, Firefly Tour (Doubtful), Lego Land (Mostly Sunway Lagoon), Shopping!!, Batu Caves, Aquaria, and Gajah Sanctuary

Plans in Singapore are open:

Please note that I can alter my dates between KL and Singapore as I've not booked my train/bus tickets to Singapore yet. I'm open, infact I'm begging for some recommendations folks!

Would it be okay to plan with the above itinerary with 2 kids and a senior citizen?

Will I be missing something? I did want to get to Langkawi, but that meant I'd have to board another flight and so dropped the plan. I'll probably do that next time when it's just me, my wife and the kids!

Any suggestions are welcome. It's the first outing for my children out of the country!

-Cheers

Ikhwan from Kuala Lumpur

Cool plan you have there. Just a heads up, Legoland and Clearwater Sanctuary Golf Resort is not in KL itself. Legoland is in Johor which is located in the south region of Malaysia (neighbor to Singapore), 4-5 hours bus ride and Gajah Sanctuary is in Pahang. If I'm not mistaken which is 2-3 hours bus ride to get there. Hope you'll plan your journey ahead as you'll travel with kids and a senior citizen.

Have fun visiting Malaysia!

1. Clearwater Sanctuary Golf Resort (hotel)
  2. Johor (restaurant)
  3. Pahang (state)

Patricia from Petaling Jaya

For shopping, there are quite a few places to go. If it's brand names and the like, stick to places like Lot 10, Fahrenheit88 and Suria KLCC. They're brand names and cater to those who like brand shops.

In KLCC, if you have the time (and there is no queue), you might want to bring the kids to Petrosains, The Discovery Centre and Aquaria KLCC (former's on the top floor, latter is ground floor nearer to the convention centre itself) for some educational fun. 

Otherwise, you can head over to Petaling Streetfor some interesting cheap trinkets. They may not be that nice though. On the weekends, I would recommend heading over to the flea market in Amcorp Mall, where you will find antiques and other fun things within. 

I would also recommend visiting the National Monument to check out a piece of Malaysian history. As you're from Chennai, you might also want to check out the names on the commemorative pillar there. It's a good place to relax and take some time out. You might also want to check out the Pandas at the National Zoo, but to be honest, I'd say skip it for the time being. 

Thirding the suggestion for Malacca. Go to Jonker Street and check out the souvenirs and shopping there. If it's Malaysian-made knick knacks you're looking for, that is a better bet. 

Have fun and bring more water than you need! 

1. Fahrenheit88 (attraction)
  2. Suria KLCC (attraction)
  3. Petrosains, The Discovery Centre (attraction)
  4. Aquaria KLCC (attraction)
  5. Petaling Street (attraction)
  6. Amcorp Mall (attraction)
  7. National Monument (attraction)
  8. National Zoo (attraction)
  9. Jonker Street (restaurant)

Leong from Johor Bahru

While you're in Malaysia, try visiting Melaka, its a very cultural state of Malaysia. It's famous for it's rich historical building left behind from the Portugese settlement from the past. While in Malaysia, you have to try the foods if you really want to experience the really special Malaysian food culture. Asam Laksa and Char Kuay Teow are my favourite. If you're in Melaka, I would recommend you trying the famous Chicken Rice Ball in Kedai Kopi Chung Wah and also the satay celup at Capitol Satay Celup

That is if you're willing to consider visiting Melaka, a very historical city with lots to see and eat. :)

1. Melaka (attraction)
  2. Kedai Kopi Chung Wah (restaurant)
  3. Capitol Satay Celup (attraction)

Jackie from Seremban

If you have time, Malacca , which is between KL and Singapore, is worth a visit - it's quite different from the big city bustle of Kuala Lumpur, has a unique food culture and is quaint and charming. Batu Caves is interesting but if you're travelling with someone who's not that mobile it'll be tough to climb the stairs for which it's famous.

1. Malacca (state)
  2. Batu Caves (city)