Maria
Chala

Malaysia

Best places to visit in Malaysia?

Traveling to Malaysia and wondering what would be the best places to visit?

Jackie from Seremban

Melaka is one of my favourite destinations; the food scene is great and it has a lot of well-preserved historical buildings and a unique culture. Kuala Lumpur is very cosmopolitan - lots of big, glitzy malls; Penang is the undisputed street food capital of Malaysia and Sabah I just love for its chill vibe, great seafood and ecotourism :)

1. Melaka (attraction)
  2. Kuala Lumpur (city)
  3. Penang (city)
  4. Sabah (attraction)

Mariska from Jakarta

1. Go to Kuala Lumpur

I know it's mainstream, but I still like it. It has a lot of good food and good shopping places. You can easily go from KLIA airport by bus or train to KL Central, and take monorail to Bukit Bintang It is famous for shopping. Some malls that are famous are Pavilion, Lot 10, Sungei Wang. You can just go by walking from one to another.

At night, there will be plenty of food hawkers at Jalan Alor Food Street. Most of them sell seafood and beer. My favorite food is chicken butter. There are also some hotels nearby and some bars at night. 

Be careful when you use taxi. Make sure you choose taxi that uses meter, instead of bargaining with the driver. If they know you are a tourist, they might give you a really high price. 

KL City Park the famous Petronas tower. Worth a try if you haven't been here. Take train or bus to go here. 

Pasar Seni It's still in KL. It is a small market that has artsy and cheap stuffs. 

2. Go to Melaka

You can just stroll along Jonker Street. There are a lot of food to try there. It's also close to Christ Church a good heritage place to visit. 

3. Go to Penang

Places to visit are Kek Lok Si Temple . It's located up in the mountain. A nice experience if you like culture/heritage. At night, go to Gurney Dr. It has many food hawkers. I'm not really a fan of the taste, but I like the idea of having food at hawkers nearby the sea. 

4. Go to Redang Island or Perhentian Islands

If you like beaches, you should try one of these too. I've been to Redang several years ago, and the place was terrific. I hope it's still as good as before. I've never been to Perhentian Island, however my friends did. They told me it's even better than Redang, as it's not as famous as Redang and less people visit it. 

5. Cameron Highlands

I've been here once. It's in mountainy area and famous for its tea farms. It's a relaxing place to go. 

Those all are based on my personal opinion, hope it helps you :) 

1. Bukit Bintang (attraction)
  2. Jalan Alor Food Street (attraction)
  3. KL City Park (attraction)
  4. Pasar Seni (attraction)
  5. Melaka (attraction)
  6. Jonker Street (restaurant)
  7. Christ Church (attraction)
  8. Penang (city)
  9. Kek Lok Si Temple (attraction)
  10. Gurney Dr (attraction)
  11. Redang Island (island)
  12. Perhentian Islands (attraction)
  13. Cameron Highlands (attraction)

Phil from Seattle

If you can get to the Perhentian Islands...then I would definitely try and get there. Beautiful quiet beaches and really good cheap food. I have wrote about it in a bit more detail on my travel blog is you wanted to look in to it a bit further.http://travel-slice.com/perhentian-travel-blog/

1. Perhentian Islands (attraction)

J. E. from Cambodia

I've only been to peninsular Malaysia, but I would recommend MelakaPenang and Langkawi Island on the west side. Melaka and Penang have some great historical buildings and good food. I would recommend Penang Hill and Georgetown (esp. Little India) as well as the beach. Langkawi has decent beaches, some nice waterfalls, and some good mangrove tour trips. I don't care much for Kuala Lumpur, but Little India in KL is cool as well as the iconic Petronas Towers. But you don't need much time in KL in my opinion. You can get super cheap flights to all points around Malaysia from KL. I've heard the Cameron Highlands are quite cool and interesting, but I haven't been there yet. 

1. Melaka (attraction)
  2. Penang (city)
  3. Langkawi Island (attraction)
  4. Kuala Lumpur (city)