Julia
Brooklyn

Malaysia, Sri Lanka, Maldives, Thailand, Laos

3-4 week multi-country honeymoon: help us pick countries!

Hello! My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon and we are trying to figure out the best combination of countries to visit. We're very lucky to have 3-4 weeks to travel (depending on how long we can make our budget stretch!). We have Malaysia, Sri Lanka, Maldives, Thailand, and Laos in mind.

Our idea is to combine rugged travel (maybe 1 step above backpacking) with some luxury days (it is our honeymoon, after all!). We want to experience culture, food, architecture, history -- and also adventure! So snorkeling, hiking/climbing, etc. 

Is it too ambitious to try to hit 3 countries?

We'll be leaving from New York mid- to late-May, which I think can be rainy season in that part of the world. I don't mind a few hours of rain a day, as long as we don't get stuck in a monsoon!

Thanks in advance for your recommendations!

Zach from West Bloomfield Township, Michigan

Hello.  I did a trip with my (now wife) 2 years ago to Thailand and Cambodia and it was incredible.  Highlights include Bangkok (Aloft Bangkok - Sukhumvit 11), Chiang Mai (Elephant Nature Parkwhere you "help" elephants rather than exploit or ride them).  We went to Siem Reap to see Angkor Wat and it was unreal experience.  Then we went to Phuket and stayed at The Westin Siray Bay Resort and Spa (beautiful and well priced).  Then went to Phi Phi Islands and stayed at Phi phi The Beach Resort which was awesome. Then went to Railey Beach which was magical and stayed at Railay Bay Resort And Spa.  Our trip was 2 weeks and was amazing!  If we had more time I would have extended each of those places and then gone to another few places.  

We also did a trip to Bali this year for our honeymoon which was very awesome as well.  More quiet, calm and cultural...but awesome.

1. Thailand (attraction)
  2. Cambodia (attraction)
  4. Aloft Bangkok - Sukhumvit 11 (hotel)
  5. Chiang Mai (city)
  6. Elephant Nature Park (attraction)
  7. Siem Reap (attraction)
  8. Angkor Wat (attraction)
  9. Phuket (attraction)
  10. The Westin Siray Bay Resort and Spa (attraction)
  11. Phi Phi Islands (attraction)
  12. Railey Beach (attraction)
  13. Railay Bay Resort And Spa (hotel)
  14. Bali (island)

For great diversity of fantastic food it does not get better than Penang Island on the planet. The food is fantastic there and it comes from all over Asia as the island is very multi cultural and these guys invented all the food courts you see in the rrst of Asia today.

And if you want some really interesting cultural experience then I would recommend Plain of Jars Site 1. It's one of those few mysterious places left in the world from a civilisation that still has no name cause next to nothing is known about the people who used to live there other than they left hundreds of giant stone jars scattered around the mountains.

And in Sri Lanka I would highly recommend Galle as an absolute cultural gem with fantastic food and great cafes and nice little boutique style places.

1. Penang Island (attraction)
  2. Plain of Jars Site 1 (attraction)
  3. Galle (city)

Hello Julia!  First of all, congratulations on your impending nuptials!  I think you have some fantastic areas on your list. Yes, three countries are doable, but you will most likely just be hitting the highlights of a particular area and may feel rushed.   While we have not been to Malaysia, or Sri Lanka, I think you have some fantastic ideas on where to go.  If you are looking for luxury, I don't think you can find much better than Maldives.  Jacey and I spent a week of our two week honeymoon at Conrad Maldives Rangali Island.  It's about a 30 minute sea plane ride from Ibrahim Nasir International Airport.  To this day, one of my favorite travel experiences.  Just pure luxury in the middle of nowhere.  There are numerous resorts that will do the same thing there as well.  Plenty of options. 

I think it is worth visiting Thailand, but I would probably stick to Chiang Mai and Chiang RaiBangkok is loved by some, and not by others.  While Jacey and I found it interesting for the temples, the city really did not do much for us.  Keep in mind, like I said, some people absolutely love Bangkok.  A few countries you had not mentioned that I would highly recommend in the area, are Cambodia, and in particular Siem Reap and we were just in Vietnamfor about two weeks in February.  I cannot say enough good things about how much we enjoyed Vietnam.  Plenty of places to hike, walk and explore while not backpacking per se.  We enjoyed a few days in Ho Chi Minh City and had some great meals/experiences, but we really enjoyed the central coast in Hue and Hoi An.  If you consider Vietnam, I would also look hard at Sa Pa District.  Some beautiful hiking in this area!  Hanoi is a fantastic city with a much different feel than HCMC and some of my most memorable meals.  I also think Halong Bay Vietnam, was a fantastic experience. 

Sorry I can't help with a few places you are interested in, but just wanted to pass along where we have been, and some ideas for some fantastic experiences we would  recommend that are in that neck of the woods.  Have a fantastic time!

1. Maldives (country)
  2. Conrad Maldives Rangali Island (restaurant)
  3. Ibrahim Nasir International Airport (attraction)
  4. Chiang Mai (city)
  5. Chiang Rai (attraction)
  7. Cambodia (attraction)
  8. Siem Reap (city)
  9. Vietnam (attraction)
  10. Ho Chi Minh City (city)
  11. Hue (city)
  12. Hoi An (city)
  13. Sa Pa District (attraction)
  14. Hanoi (city)
  15. Halong Bay Vietnam (attraction)

Dalila from Shah Alam, Malaysia

Hi Julia! all your selected countries are very interesting to explore. Malaysia and Thailand have many good food to try. For Malaysia, you might need to travel across street to try different delicacies. for sri lanka and maldives are surely good selection to explore nature.too beautiful. I never been to laos. but i know its very interesting country with rich culture

1. Malaysia (attraction)
  2. Thailand (attraction)