Matt
Houston

Madrid

Where to eat, drink and have a good time?

I'm traveling to Madrid in late May with my wife, sister and brother in law. We're looking for some local bars and restaurants to enjoy in a fun part of the city.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. 

Also, what is the one food item that we must try while there? 

Lavi from Madrid

There are a lot of great restaurants on Huertas, you can't go wrong on that street. I went to a fantastic Galician restaurant there. It's very centrally located. My brother and sister-in-law loved the markets (mercardos). I took them to Mercado de San Miguel near Plaza Mayor and Mercado de San Antón in ChuecaMercado de San Idelfonso on Calle Fuencarral is also great; you can try so many different things in the markets. 

Try the patatas bravas (potatoes in a red sauce), Spanish tortilla, and the jamón Iberico (Iberian ham)!

1. Huertas (attraction)
  2. Mercado de San Miguel (attraction)
  3. Plaza Mayor (attraction)
  4. Mercado de San Antón (attraction)
  5. Chueca (metro area)
  6. Calle Fuencarral (attraction)

I'm a big fan of the Mercado de San Miguel-its a beautiful building near to the Plaza Mayor, filled with food stands/stalls, wine, hot chocolate (the version here is amazing, make sure to have it with the churro)...and everyone just grabs a seat in the middle.  You'll meet locals, travelers from all over and conversation just starts!

We loved our lunch at Café de Oriente-such a lovely space, very old world feel and the food was creative and very good.  The cocktails were old school and expertly crafted.  Please it is  very close to the Royal Palace, so you could get there early-take your tour, and stop here for lunch.

We also absolutely adored La Venencia for the night sherry and very small, limiited selection of tapas.  They even have a resident cat that will say hi to you.  Your tab is kept on a chalk board at the bar.  I would hang out at this place every week if I lived in Madrid.  Make sure to order the olives and the sardines, I'm not usually a fan but these were excellent!

Enjoy-

1. Mercado de San Miguel (attraction)
  2. Plaza Mayor (attraction)
  3. Café de Oriente (restaurant)
  4. La Venencia (attraction)

There are plenty of excellent choices in Madrid, a few of them are: Mercado de la Reina, Taberna Alhambra, Lateral, restaurante hegar and Taberna Los Huevos de Lucio. Try as well the ambience of Mercado de San Antón and Mercado de San Miguel, excellent "tapas", "paella" which are a must.

1. Mercado de la Reina (attraction)
  2. Taberna Alhambra (restaurant)
  3. Lateral (attraction)
  4. restaurante hegar (restaurant)
  5. Taberna Los Huevos de Lucio (restaurant)
  6. Mercado de San Antón (attraction)
  7. Mercado de San Miguel (attraction)