Madrid

What is your favorite restaurant in Madrid?

Heading to Madrid and I'm looking for the best restaurants to try while I'm visiting. Open to all types of food! What are your top places to eat?

Bernardo from Madrid

Hey Katie,

well I guess it all depends on the kind of places you are looking for. Depending on what you are looking for, my suggestions would be:

Paella and rices: La Barraca in calle reina, possibly a bit more pricy than the other paella options though much better as well;

Bistro type: Check out Le Patrón on calle barco, the place is smallish and cozy and the food very good.

Romantic dinner: Restaurante - Vinoteca Moratin in calle Moratin. Pretty place, attentive waiters, the food is extremely good and the wines delicious and decently priced.

True spanish: El Pez Gordo in calle Pez. If you are looking for tapas night out in a crowded noisy place this is as good as any. Dont let yourself be fooled by the appearance of the place, food is very good (that's why there's a waiting line).

Creative: Sala de Despiece in calle ponzano. It's definitely a place that serves good food together with an experience. If the guy approaches with a little flamethrower, do not worry, ihe's only gonna cook your meet in front of you!

Hope you find any of the suggestions helpful,

Have fun in Madrid

1. La Barraca (restaurant)
  2. Le Patrón (restaurant)
  3. Restaurante - Vinoteca Moratin (restaurant)
  4. El Pez Gordo (restaurant)
  5. Sala de Despiece (restaurant)

I love love love eating out in Madrid Whatever type of food you like - from Japanese to Venezuelan you will find it in Madrid!

These are the restaurants I like to revisit:

Botín (reputedly the oldest restaurant in the world)

Restaurante La Cabaña Argentina for great steak

La Musa Latina for great tapas and good cocktails

Cervecería Monje For great tapas and seafood

1. Madrid (city)
  2. Botín (restaurant)
  3. Restaurante La Cabaña Argentina (restaurant)
  4. La Musa Latina (restaurant)
  5. Cervecería Monje (restaurant)

Andrea from Madrid

Hi Katie,

Madrid has many prestigios restaurants and offers a range of different places to eat. It all depends how much money you want to spend.

One of my favourite place in Madrid is Restaurante Zhou Yulong aka 'El chino de plaza España', this pretty small place has its own magic, everything you ask for will be delicious. You might find it kind of tacky but, believe me, its fantastic (and cheap).It's located at Plaza de Españaone of the most important squares in Madrid.

However, if you want to taste the typical food, you might like Botín (the oldest restaurant in the world) at Plaza Mayor or Restaurante Casa Lucio which is famous for its 'Huevos Rotos' and is located near to the Royal Palace of Madrid.

If you want something more fancy, you'd prefer Ten con Ten
at the Castellana (near 'La Puerta de Alcalá'). In case you want to eat at a Michelin-starred restaurant you may like Club Allard or DiverXO.

Nevertheless, Madrid is divided in different zones. You can go to Chamberí and eat at Restaurante La Contraseña or Sala de Despiece. If you prefer you can go to Lavapies and eat delicious indian food, where you will find tons of exotics restaurants. But, without a doubt, one of the most famous zones in Madrid is Chueca, my personal favourites are La Tasca de Figueroa and Food Truck.

If you want an advice, I'd definitely recommend you to avoid all this places full of tourist with pictures of giants paellas. I know that Spain is famous for that meal but that isn't typical from Madrid, but Valencia. Madrid classical are: Bocadillo de Calamares, Callos a la Madrileña and Rabo de toro among others.

Have a nice trip :)

1. Restaurante Zhou Yulong (restaurant)
  2. Plaza de España (attraction)
  3. Botín (restaurant)
  4. Plaza Mayor (attraction)
  5. Restaurante Casa Lucio (restaurant)
  6. Royal Palace of Madrid (attraction)
  7. Ten con Ten (restaurant)
  8. Castellana (attraction)
  9. Club Allard (restaurant)
  10. DiverXO (restaurant)
  11. Chamberí (attraction)
  12. Restaurante La Contraseña (restaurant)
  13. Sala de Despiece (restaurant)
  14. Chueca (metro area)
  15. La Tasca de Figueroa (restaurant)
  16. Food Truck (restaurant)