Esther
Tel Aviv

Madrid

Must-do day trips from Madrid?

Hi. I'm interested in hearing about 'not to miss' short trips from Madrid, Spain - the sort that we could go in the early morning and return at night or even stay over for one night. We are two adults and we are traveling by train, interested in architecture, archaeology, nature, museums (and pretty much everything).  Our Spanish is very minimal.

Hello Esther! I would say Toledo. I took the train from the Madrid Atocha Railway Station early in the morning and returned at the end of the day. Toledo is set on a hill above the plains of Castilla La Mancha, a beautiful walled old city full of museums, cathedrals, jewish, Christian and arab monuments.  It is a must see city as it still has exactly the same layout it had in the middle ages. Alcázar de Toledo is very impressive! Its narrow streets only provoke to walk the city with intense curiosity and incredible admiration.

Hope this helps!

1. Toledo (city)
  2. Madrid Atocha Railway Station (attraction)
  3. Alcázar de Toledo (attraction)

Taylor from Pennsylvania

Hi Esther,

I agree with what others have said regarding the day trips.  The three big, most common ones are ToledoSegovia and Escorial.  My favorite of the three is Segovia.  Toledo and Segovia are both small cities that have many attractions and places to eat and explore.  With El Escorial, I feel that you pretty much go there just to see the Escorial and there's not really much there to do other than that, though the building is impressive and there's plenty of art and history to keep you entertained.  If you want something a little less common, I would recommend going to Ávila Cuenca (Spain) or Alcala de Henares.  Ávila is famous for the wall built in the medieval times that covers a large part of the city.  Cuenca is interesting because they have the "casas colgadas" or hanging houses, houses that are built into cliffs so it looks like they are hanging off the edge. Alcalá de Henares is the birthplace of Miguel de Cervantes and hosts a prestigious university there.  You could easily do this trip in a day.  Another option would be Chinchon.  This is a nice day, or maybe even half a day, trip and it's accessible by bus only.  It's a tiny town, but it feels like you are in a complete time warp.  They have a quaint plaza mayor, a museum to visit, convents to see and nice views of the city of Madrid from afar.  You can even visit a bodega or two there. This would probably be the last choice on my list though.

Buen viaje!  I hope you enjoy your time in Madrid and the surrounding areas!

1. Toledo (city)
  2. Segovia (city)
  3. Escorial (city)
  4. Ávila (city)
  5. Cuenca (Spain) (city)
  6. Alcala de Henares (city)
  7. Chinchon (city)

Eva Maria from Madrid, Spain

Hi Esther!

In the city you have a lot of short trips:

- Tapas Tour - to taste our traditional gastronomy in La Latina and nearby Plaza Mayor
- Madrid de los Austria- the ancient part of the city
- Modern Madrid -  including Estadio Santiago Bernabéu and the biggest skycrappers
- Las Rozas Village - if you love shopping

Moreover, from Madrid you can also make day-trips to Toledo, Segovia, Ávila and Escorial.

1. Plaza Mayor (attraction)
  2. Estadio Santiago Bernabéu (attraction)
  3. Las Rozas Village (attraction)
  4. Toledo (city)
  5. Segovia (city)
  6. Ávila (city)
  7. Escorial (city)

Hi Esther,

Toledo is a great little city for a day trip from Madrid

You can travel there by train in about 35 minutes and trains leave every hour. Must-sees are the Casa y Museo de El Greco Museo De Santa Cruz and the Museo de la España Mágica which is in a cave. There are some really nice restaurants for lunch or dinner like La Mar Salá a short distance from the centre near the Calle Honda, or eat on the terrace of Orza (La) (if you can get a table) 

1. Toledo (city)
  2. Madrid (city)
  3. Casa y Museo de El Greco (attraction)
  4. Museo De Santa Cruz (attraction)
  5. Museo de la España Mágica (attraction)
  6. La Mar Salá (restaurant)
  7. Orza (La) (restaurant)

Nieves from Valladolid

You have to go to Toledo. It´s a beautiful city with a great history. You can also see Segovia (the Alcazar is a very famous castle), Valladolid (capital of Spain in the XVI century) or Burgos. All of them are little cities and you can visit them in one day

1. Toledo (city)
  2. Segovia (city)
  3. Valladolid (city)

Montserrat from Mexico City, Mexico

Hello Esther, what i understand is that you want to do a small trip outside the city.

My fist suggestion in this way would be the city of Toledo, you can go my bus or by train (renfe, ave) is 30 minutes/ 1 hour away and is an amazing city with a lot of history or places to visit as small museums, churches,etc.

Try looking into Segovia,  nice place and you eat very well there.

Architecture, (palace) : you have Escorial, Aranjuez.

you can take tours for all of this once in english but also you could go by yourself and discover it without rush.

hope it helps!

1. Toledo (city)
  2. Segovia (city)
  3. Escorial (city)
  4. Aranjuez (city)

Cynthia from Tucson

I recommend going to Toledo. It is the perfect day trip from Madrid.

1. Toledo (city)
  2. Madrid (city)