Brenda
Long Beach

Madrid, Segovia, Salamanca, Toledo, Cuenca (Spain)

Cities outside of Madrid

So I am giving around 10 days or so to Madrid and the surrounding area. Segovia? Salamanca? Toledo? Cuenca? Thoughts and suggestions and best mode of travel (train, bus, car rental) Also, day trips or overnight? I am a solo female traveler and will visit in October.

Take a train to Segovia and stop in anywhere for roasted suckling pig, they are famous for it!  Great walking town with a beautiful cathedral as well.

1. Segovia (attraction)

Isabele from Ibiza

hi, I hope you enjoy Madrid as well because here is a great city. close to Madrid you can visit segovia, that is a small city but so pretty and good food there. From Madrid you can take a bus to there and come back at the same day. Also Toledo is a great and historic city it's for.about 1 hour from Madrid and u can take a bus in Moncloa station. These 2 cities u an go and return in the same day, If u prefer Salamanca, also is too beautiful but I recommend u stay there 2 days. To arrive in these cities you can check with Alsa Bus Company.

Isabele from Ibiza

Juli from Salem (Massachusetts)

We were in Madrid this spring.  We took a day trip to Segovia and it was SO worth the trip.  Be sure to eat at Restaurante José María  One of the best restaurants ever!!!  Of special note, the assorted vegetable plate was amazing, their jamon was incredible, and the sweetbreads with pine nuts was indescribably delicious.  Try the orange for dessert.  The show of them peeling and slicing the oranges in the dining room is something you will find in very few places.

1. Segovia (attraction)
  2. Restaurante José María (restaurant)

I always loved taking trains around Spain, especially the high speed trains, but buses are also good, especially for Madrid - Toledo. The benefit to day trips is that you can leave all of your things in one place for the entire 10 days rather than pack up and haul them around everywhere.  I did day trips from Madrid all over and it was good, it's really easy when it's places less than an hour or so away. If you take the train you can also get to places like Seville or the beach towns of Alicante and Valencia in only 2-2.5 hours.

1. Seville (city)
  2. Alicante (city)
  3. Valencia (attraction)