Mei & Kerstin
Larochette

Madrid, Segovia, Toledo, Ávila

5 days in Madrid and its surrounding area

Hi everyone,

We've just booked our flights to Madrid for end of March. We'll be spending 5 days there, but since we have already been to Madrid, we would prefer to explore its surrounding area, such as Segovia, Toledo, Avila, and maybe also El Escorial. It seems the distanced to these cities are not very far and it's easy to reach them by train. But in 5 days we can't go and do everything. So what are your suggestions? Where should we go among the choiced of cities above? Where should we book our hotels? And what are the itineraries you suggest? Thank you in advance for your tips and advices! :)

Todo

This question has been thoroughly answered but may I add that there are group excursions by bus that you can take which combine two locations in the same day.  For example, ÁvilaSegoviaEscorial.  Group tours by bus are not everyones favourite way of travelling as the pace is dictated by the group, but you still may like to consider it.  

1. Ávila (city)
  2. Segovia (city)
  3. Escorial (city)

Miguel

This are my preferences

1 day.-Toledo

2 day.- Segovia

3 day.- Aranjuez

4 day.- Escorial

5 day .- Ávila

1. Toledo (city)
  2. Segovia (city)
  3. Aranjuez (city)
  4. Escorial (city)
  5. Ávila (city)

Katy from Des Plaines

You can do each of the towns mentioned in one day trips, since they are close. I have not been to Ávila, but SegoviaToledoEscorial  are worthwhile. El Escorial was the surprise destination for me - I didn't expect to like it but it was very interesting!

1. Ávila (city)
  2. Segovia (city)
  3. Toledo (city)
  4. Escorial (city)

Juli from Salem (Massachusetts)

We loved Segovia!

1. Segovia (city)

Ben from Madrid

For your plan I'd recommend staying in Atocha Atocha. It's the area with the train station, art museums, and park all within walking distance. Although, Madrid is a very walkable city for the most part. For your excursion, Toledo is the most typical to see a historic Medieval Town, old buildings and hillside views. However, I love Escorial. The monastery is quite impressive and the village is quaint. If you can find a package tour to Valley of the Fallen (valle de los caídos) it will be quite a memorable excursión. Of course you won't go wrong with any of those towns.

1. Atocha (attraction)
  2. Madrid (city)
  3. Escorial (city)
  4. Valley of the Fallen (attraction)

Celeste from Oakland

I've been to all of these and liked Toledo (to the south) but there is also Salamanca. Taking the trains out are great! 

1. Toledo (city)
  2. Salamanca (attraction)

Terry from Honaunau, Hawaii

Hola!  If you'd like to experience "old Spain" my choices are Toledo and Ávila!  Both will take you back in time.  The attraction in Toledo is the entire town!  It is beautiful!  Of course you must visit the main cathedral!  In Avila the main attraction is the great wall that surrounds the city!  Most impressive.  But be sure to enjoy modern Madrid as well.  And be sure to dine one evening at Hostería El Botín Del Corregidor  in Madrid.  It's supposed to be the oldest restaurant in the world!  They are famous for their brick oven roasted baby pig and lamb.  Very tender and delicious.   As far as where to stay, consider staying in a parador.  These are hotels that are owned by the government that have converted historical buildings into a hotel.  The Parador de Alcalá de Henares is a 16th century Palace!  Well worth spending a night or two if you can.  In Toledo  it's a country house that overlooks the city.  The buildings themselves are historical buildings but are modern on the inside.  Madrid doesn't have a Parador but it does have many options for accommodations.  The main highlight is the MUSEO NACIONAL DEL PRADO which you can spend hours at.  

1. Toledo (city)
  2. Ávila (city)
  3. Madrid (city)
  4. Hostería El Botín Del Corregidor (restaurant)
  5. Parador de Alcalá de Henares (hotel)
  6. MUSEO NACIONAL DEL PRADO (attraction)

Steven from Santa Barbara

Each of the places you mentioned can be visited in a day, and all are worthwhile, but I would first go to Segovia, and then Escorial and Toledo. Also near Madrid is Chinchon a thoroughly quaint village that is worth a few hours if you're in the area.

1. Segovia (city)
  2. Escorial (city)
  3. Toledo (city)
  4. Madrid (city)
  5. Chinchon (city)

Hello Mei & Kerstin, 

I would suggest that you visit Toledo, it is an amazing and beautiful city full of remarkable ancient buildings placed on a hill above the plains of Castilla de la Mancha and the Río Tajo. I still remember our family trip as one of the most interesting places ever visited. We took the train at Atocha early in the morning and spent the day walking the city. I would suggest that at least you stay 1 night as the city is pretty stunning at night. Therefore, you will have plenty of time to observe every monument, church, be delighted by their gastronomy, etc.

I will share a few pictures from my family album so that you have an idea of the many monuments known for the medieval arab, jewish, and christian. To mention a few the Alcázar de ToledoCasa y Museo de El Greco, Moorish Bisagra gate and the Sol gate, in its walled old city, just to mention a few. I am sure you will enjoy this trip. Saludos!!

1. Toledo (city)
  2. Río Tajo (attraction)
  3. Atocha (attraction)
  4. Alcázar de Toledo (attraction)
  5. Casa y Museo de El Greco (attraction)