Keith
Denver

Madison

Family-friendly campsites near Madison for large groups

My wife and I are taking the kids to Madison this summer to visit family.  We're staying for seven days and were thinking about taking a couple of days to go camping.  It would be my family for sure, plus perhaps two other families and we have a mix of teenagers and younger kids.  Any ideas for campsites that could accommodate us?

Ted from Chicago

Blue Mound State Park is just about 20-30 miles straight west. They have a pool, but no lake. They have a couple of look out towers which are fun to climb and provide beautiful vistas with some nice trails. Lake Kegonsa State Park is about 30 miles south and they have a swimming lake where you can fish too. Mirror Lake State Park is about an hour north and also has a swimming lake with some really nice trails. Devil's Lake State Park is also an option, also an hour away, but this state park is really crowded. Definitely make reservations if you go there. If you have time, you should go canoeing on the The Wisconsin River. There is a canoe outfitter in Boscobel a couple of hours away that can set you up with boats called Wisconsin River Outings. The Wisconsin River is sand bottom and great for swimming and simply gorgeous with bald eagles everywhere.

1. Lake Kegonsa State Park (attraction)
  2. Mirror Lake State Park (attraction)
  3. Devil's Lake State Park (attraction)
  4. The Wisconsin River (attraction)
  5. Blue Mound State Park (attraction)

Hannah from Milwaukee

Go to  Devil's Lake State Park!  When I was visiting my friend at UM, I went there with her and a bunch of her friends and we had so much fun.  We went in the summer time and they had apparently made reservations in the spring, so I would suggest making reservations wherever you decide to camp soon.  Based on my experience there, it's pretty family-friendly, and definitely group friendly.  You can make reservations here: http://www.devilslakewisconsin.com/camping/

1. Devil's Lake State Park (attraction)
  2. Devil's Lake State Park (attraction)
  3. Devil's Lake State Park (attraction)

Jeff from Wisconsin

Check out Devil's Lake State Park. Amazing views, great hiking, and it's family friendly camping. There are also a number of private campgrounds within an hour of Madison near Wisconsin Dells.

1. Devil's Lake State Park (attraction)
  2. Wisconsin Dells (city)