Jessica
Calabasas

Machu Picchu

Traveling with a 7 and 11 year old

Is it a good idea to take kids of these ages for the day trip  to Machu Picchu?

Michael from San Francisco

Machu Picchu is certainly doable for kids.  You would fly to Cusco.  Take the train from Cusco to the base.  Then take a bus that drives you up the side of the mountain to Machu Picchu .  However!! The altitude at Cusco can be quite challenging for some, so not sure how the kids will handle that. Machu Picchu is actually lower than Cusco, but there is no avoiding Cusco to go to Pachu Picchu.

1. Machu Picchu (region)
  2. Cusco (city)

Sofia from Washington, DC

The first time I visited Machu Picchu was when I was 12, so it could be alright. I would talk to the doctor to see what he or she says because there is the issue of high altitude sickness. If the doctor says it is alright then I think you should go for it, it is an awesome experience.

1. Machu Picchu (region)

Saul from Cuzco

Hello! of course it is fine to visit Machu Picchu with kids to Machu Picchu, if you need any help you may contact us: www.samtravelperu.com

1. Machu Picchu (region)

Alejandra from Montevideo

Yes, absolutely!! the train travel is awesome, and the "Ciudadela of Machu Picchu" is a safe place to take the children. I went few month ago with my husband and we regret that we didnt take the children with us!

1. Machu Picchu (region)

Jeff from Portland

I hate to point you offsite, but here is a good string related to your question