Howard
Palm Beach Gardens

Howard from Palm Beach Gardens asked

What are the best areas to spend five days within driving distance?

I need restaurants and sights for 5 days in Lyon and another area for 5 days within driving distance from Lyon. My interests are historical and architectural sights and food.

Lyon

Christophe from Lille

Hi Howard ! 

I lived in Lyon for a few years, and I have a few advices for you ! 

If I were you I would definitly go on a wine-roadtrip in the BurgundyValley. The best know are located between Santenay and Dijon (2h drive from Lyon) (for example Meursault). Hôtel-Dieu Museum is a must-see, and you could also stop at the Abbaye de Cluny along the road. Macon (Bourgogne)Roche de Solutré are also really nice with plenty of vineyards around. 

5 days in Lyon might be a bit too much, so consider going for day-trip in Pérouges, or Massif du Mont d'Or . But when in Lyon go try Brasserie Georges or even fancier (one of the best restaurant in France) Paul Bocuse RestaurantIle Barbe (L') is also a nice place to visit a bit off the city (and there is a high-end restaurant as well). 

Have a nice trip ! 

1. Burgundy (attraction)
  2. Santenay (city)
  3. Dijon (city)
  4. Meursault (city)
  5. Hôtel-Dieu Museum (attraction)
  6. Abbaye de Cluny (attraction)
  7. Macon (Bourgogne) (city)
  8. Roche de Solutré (attraction)
  9. Pérouges (city)
  10. Massif du Mont d'Or (attraction)
  11. Brasserie Georges (restaurant)
  12. Paul Bocuse Restaurant (attraction)
  13. Ile Barbe (L') (attraction)
Martine from France

Hi, we live in Alsace and sometimes drive to Lyon. I would suggest leaving Lyon and first driving to Dijon, and Beaune. Stay one day in Dijon, and if you like wine, 2 days in Beaune to visit the beautiful villages and taste wine. From Dijon to Colmar in Alsace, it's 265 km and nearly 3H drive. There is so much to visit around Colmar, that I 'm not sure that you have enough time especially if you have to drive back to Lyon. Have a great trip!

1. Alsace (attraction)
  2. Lyon (city)
  3. Dijon (city)
  4. Beaune (city)
John from Carlsbad (California)

We had an excellent, well-priced dinner at Archange last summer. 

1. Archange (restaurant)
Alice from Leeds

Road trip along the Côte de Beaune in Burgundy! Gorgeous views, great food, even better wine! Gorgeous castles to visit around there too! 

1. Burgundy (attraction)
Dee from California

For the 5 days outside the city, we would definitely head to Champagne or Alsace.  Especially if you're *into* wine.  If you're not, between Strassbourg and Colmar is an area that would probably interest you as it's historical (although you didn't mention what kind of history) and definitely has architecture.  You can't go wrong with the food anywhere.

1. Champagne (city)
  2. Alsace (attraction)
Paul from Dublin

I was in Lyon 3 weeks ago and had 2 great meals at L'Ourson qui boit and Au 14 Fevrier. I recommend them both. I also had a meal at Michelin starred Le Gourmet de Sèze. I wouldn't go back to this one.

1. L'Ourson qui boit (restaurant)
  2. Au 14 Fevrier (restaurant)