Johane
Atlanta

Johane from Atlanta asked

Is Lyon kid friendly?

My husband will be traveling to Europe (different cities different countries) and we're considering to tag along. We have 2 daughters 2 and 4 years old. His trips will be short in each city. So I'm thinking we go all together and stay in one of the cities (like Lyon) while he visits the rest. But I want to make sure I can handle it :) I don't speak French. Is the city friendly to non-french speakers? Is it kid friendly? Where should we stay? 

Lyon

Emilie from Lyon

I think Lyon is very kid friendly, there is a lot of different things to do, the most important one being in the same area, and you can easily use the public transports if your daughter is tired.

Also, French people will be helpfull if you need it, most of them are speaking english.

You can try to find somewhere to stay in the Presqu'île Lyon or in the Vieux Lyon, the two most beautiful neighborhoods. Along the Rhone is also beautiful. If the hotel is too exensive try https://fr.airbnb.ch/.

I hope my answer helped you :)

1. Presqu'île Lyon (attraction)
  2. Vieux Lyon (attraction)

Overall, the French are far friendlier than stories make them out to be, and from my observations they love children! Lyon is also a fairly large city so there should be a lot of people who speak English and/or are willing to help you out.

Christophe from Lille

Sure ! Lyon is great place for kids ! Way more relaxed than Paris, but still with a lot to see. Kids will love the view from the hills FourvièreCroix-Rousse, the old little street like and the secret stair-cases (lot to find in the Croix-Rousse area, like the one in the  Rue Imbert Colomes

People are friendly, and mostly english-speaking. To simplify everything I would advise to find a central place next to Place Bellecour and between Cordeliers Bourse and Ampère - Victor Hugo

1. Fourvière (attraction)
  2. Croix-Rousse (attraction)
  3. Croix-Rousse (attraction)
  4. Rue Imbert Colomes (attraction)
  5. Place Bellecour (attraction)
  6. Cordeliers Bourse (attraction)
  7. Ampère - Victor Hugo (attraction)
Jacqueline from Philadelphia

I stayed in Villa Florentine and loved it. I can definitely see it being a kid friendly place to stay. 

As for the city, I thought locals were very nice and welcoming. I never felt any attitude from anyone regarding my English.