Michael

Lucca

Things to see/do?

Will be passing through Lucca for a day.  What should I see / do?

Carina from San Francisco

Lucky you, you will be passing through my family's hometown! This area is charming as its populated by mostly families that have lived there for dozens of generations, so you can really feel the town's roots as you explore. The big thing that Lucca is known for is  Le Mura di Lucca, which is the wall that surrounds the downtown. It's topped with a gorgeous trail, and I would recommend starting with this in order to circumnavigate the town's premises before delving in. As Lucca is surrounded by some beautiful mountains, an excellent spot for viewing the wonders of nature available are from the  Torre Guinigi, a watchtower that you can spot from the tree that grows at the very top of it! There are honestly so many beautiful churches to visit, all spectacular for getting a feel for ancient Renaissance architecture. A few that I've visited are the  San Michele in Foro and  Chiesa e Battistero di San Giovanni e Santa Reparata- my own grandfather was baptized in the latter. The famous musical composer Puccini was born in Lucca, and the city has preserved his home so that people today can come and view it at the  Casa Natale di Giacomo Puccini.

For window shopping and immersing oneself in the essential ancestry of Lucca's energy, I recommend setting aside a good hour or so to peruse the circular  Piazza dell'Anfiteatro The way that the buildings have been arranged is perfect for feeling like they are hugging all in the vendor stalls, outdoor cafes, and tiny shops. 

Since my family lives here, I have never really had the chance to explore any of the restaurants (the home-cooking is a bit unbeatable, in my opinion). However, my grandparents always talked about  Buca di S.Antonio. It's the oldest restaurant in the city, and I'm sure there's a reason it's still around!

Have an excellent time!

1. Torre Guinigi (attraction)
  2. San Michele in Foro (attraction)
  3. Le Mura di Lucca (attraction)
  4. Chiesa e Battistero di San Giovanni e Santa Reparata (attraction)
  5. Casa Natale di Giacomo Puccini (attraction)
  6. Piazza dell'Anfiteatro (attraction)
  7. Buca di S.Antonio (restaurant)

Steve from Midlothian (Virginia)

Michael, one day is not nearly enough to really experience Lucca.  It's a walled city with over 100 churches, it's the home of Puccini ... with that said, if I only had a day ... I'd stroll through the interior of the walled city and be sure to see the " Piazza dell'Anfiteatro" (the oval shaped piazza).  Pick up some of the olive oil and if you get a chance there is a musical concert featuring Puccini music at the Basilica di San Giovanni - also you can observe an archaeological excavation under the church dating from the 1st century BC thru the 11th century AD.

if you like wine, be sure to visit Enoteca Vannini (www.enotecavanni.com) - has a "facinating" wine cellar.

1. Lucca (city)
  2. Piazza dell'Anfiteatro (attraction)
  3. Basilica di San Giovanni (attraction)
  4. Enoteca Vannini (attraction)

Valerio from Kazakhstan

Rent a bike and have fun on city walls. BEst restaurant is Ristorante All'Olivo in the city centre. You can't miss a visit to "Torre Dell'orologio", a tower with a little garden on the top.

1. Ristorante All'Olivo (restaurant)
  2. Torre Dell'orologio (attraction)

Kim from San Diego

Rent bicycles and ride around the walled city!