Hannah
Milwaukee

Los Angeles neighborhoods on the cheap?

What areas in LA are budget friendly? My friends and I are coming to visit, but we really can't spend a lot of money on hotels, food, etc. What areas should we consider that offer a lot of cheap/free things to see and do?

Spencer from Los Angeles

Let's start with where is NOT cheap: Santa Monica, Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Malibu, Mid-City, West Hollywood. 

Where I would recommend: Silver Lake or if near the beach, then Venice Beach. And I'd try to find some things on Airbnb. The thing about both of those hoods is that they are so walkable. DTLA can be cheap and then you have the convenience of the metro for easily getting to Hollywood or Culver City, for example.. Some great happy hours, such as Pour Haus Wine Bar, and then like the person mentioned below, you have access to Grand Central Market, which is probably my favorite foodie place in all of L.A. 

1. Silver Lake (neighborhood)
  2. Venice Beach (city)
  3. Pour Haus Wine Bar (attraction)
  4. Grand Central Market (restaurant)

Colleen from Brooklyn

Downtown LA is a great option because you're closed to Grand Central Market, where you can try some of LA's hippest food spots all in one place.  It also saves you from having to rent a car because you'll have access to the Metro http://www.discoverlosangeles.com/CarFreeLA.  If you stay at a place like the Ace you get free bikes to explore.

1. Grand Central Market (restaurant)

Chris from Los Angeles

Search for hostels, airbnb.com, or vrbo.com

Jibé from Los Angeles

I would definitely go the Silver Lake area.

1. Silver Lake (neighborhood)

Valerie from Los Angeles

I would look into staying more towards the west side of Los Angeles and look for places in Venice Beach or Culver City. I've had friends come to visit who found surprisingly cheap places to stay around those areas. Plus, you're close to the beach which is always a fun and free activity! Walk down the Venice Beach boardwalk for some of the best people watching. I really like to rent bikes on the weekends and bike down the beach path starting in Marina Del Rey. There is a little pop up booth called Daniels at the end of Fiji Way. It's cheap and a beautiful ride along the ocean. Bike all the way to Hermosa Beach they have good drink deals on the weekends at Día de Campo

One of my favorite free things to do is to just drive. Drive along the PCH up through Palos Verdes Estates over to Point Vicente lighthouse. It's a great ocean drive with a gorg view.

1. Venice Beach (city)
  2. Culver City (city)
  3. Marina Del Rey (city)
  4. Fiji Way (attraction)
  5. Hermosa Beach (city)
  6. Día de Campo (restaurant)
  7. Palos Verdes Estates (neighborhood)
  8. Point Vicente (attraction)