mark
India

is downtown LA Area is good place to stay for a week

I am attending a conference in LA , downtown area, Wanted to know if the place is good and safe.

which are the places to roam around.

Spencer from Los Angeles

Lanee's tips and info about Skid Row are spot on. L.A. Live is a great area, too. It's right across from the Staples Center and is pretty happening almost any time of the week. You've got the JW Marriott Los Angeles L.A. LIVE and The Ritz-Carlton, Los Angeles, which are more pricey, but great hotels and you have so many things right there. Then, you can walk or take an Uber to The VarnishGrand central market, and some of the other places mentioned. The Ace Hotel Los Angeles, however, has really been the most popular among travelers I've talked with.

1. L.A. Live (attraction)
  2. JW Marriott Los Angeles L.A. LIVE (hotel)
  3. The Ritz-Carlton, Los Angeles (hotel)
  4. The Varnish (restaurant)
  5. Grand central market (attraction)
  6. Ace Hotel Los Angeles (hotel)

Lanee from Los Angeles

Hi Mark,

Yes, Downtown L.A. is safe and a great place to stay. Ace Hotel Los Angeles, The Standard Downtown LA and the Millennium Biltmore Hotel are my favorite DTLA hotels.

To play it safe, it's probably best to avoid Skid Row, the area east of Main Street, south of Third Street, west of Alameda Street, and north of Seventh Street.

For areas to visit, I love hitting up 4th and 6th street. There are lots of cool bars and restaurants in that area, such as The Varnish and Bar Ama.

Cheers,
Lanee

1. Ace Hotel Los Angeles (hotel)
  2. The Standard Downtown LA (hotel)
  3. Millennium Biltmore Hotel (attraction)
  4. The Varnish (restaurant)
  5. Bar Ama (attraction)

Kristal from San Francisco

Most parts are pretty safe, but I wouldn't just wander around without knowing the streets at night.It's not super dangerous it can just be a little sketchy. There are a lot of rooftop bars and restaurants that have set up shop. It used to be a little more dead, but it's really turning around. I would stay with more well known hotels. I am not familiar with all the little areas, but once you get into the districts (fashion, toy, flower) they will definitely be dark and filled with homeless at night. I would stay closer to Staples Center. With more restaurants there, it is more happening and not as sketch.

If you have time I would definitely explore outside of downtown, but I would recommend you stay there because getting there in transportation is no fun and if you rent a car, all the one way streets can get confusing. So it's better to stay central and then go elsewhere if you have time. 

Places I like in downtown:

Eggslut - great breakfast and lunch - amazing burgers and sandwiches with egg! http://www.eatandescape.com/restaurant-reviews/eggslut

Bäco Mercat - great sandwiches and AMAZING desserts! (pistachio cheesecake, banana cream pie and pana cotta.

Bottega Louie - amazing sweets and macarons, also good italian food. 

Los Angeles Chinatown is fun to check out.

-Kristal

1. Eggslut (restaurant)
  2. Bäco Mercat (restaurant)
  3. Bottega Louie (restaurant)
  4. Los Angeles Chinatown (neighborhood)

Claire from San Diego

It's safe although it's primarily a business district so it can feel a little dead on the weekends. Just a few places I would try to see down there:

Los Angeles Union Station - this is a beautiful train station built in the 1930s. 

Walt Disney Concert Hall - home to the L.A. Philharmonic if you're in the mood for a concert. 

Museum of Comtemparary Art - if you like modern art

Grand central market - giant market with all kinds of great, international food stalls

1. Los Angeles Union Station (attraction)
  2. Walt Disney Concert Hall (attraction)
  3. Museum of Comtemparary Art (attraction)
  4. Grand central market (attraction)