Alexandra
Poland

cheap motels in Los Angeles

Looking for very cheap motels in th area of LA in mid July. Cheap for me means basically like $20-$30 per night.

Thanks for any help

Janelle from Charleston

Alexandra,  if that's your budget then I'd recommend staying at a hostel.  Santa Monica and Venice have some good ones.  In the USA, ''cheap motels'' are often unsafe, ESPECIALLY for women.  They tend to be inhabited by vagrants and criminals, and drug use, prostitution, theft and other crimes are common.  Hostels in the USA, on the other hand, tend to be safe and well-patrolled and have strict rules governing what their guests can and cannot do.  Hostelling International Santa Monica has a good reputation, and it's in a great area as well.  If you get homesick, Warszawa Restaurant is just a few blocks away :-) 

1. Hostelling International Santa Monica (hotel)
  2. Warszawa Restaurant (restaurant)

MaryBeth from Los Angeles

Yes, I agree with Janelle. Hostels, or maybe a room via Airbnb. Probably the only place you will find a room that cheap is in the single room occupancy places in downtown Los Angeles. Very unsafe. At least one female tourist was murdered in one of them in the last couple of years. There are also parts of Hollywood with cheap motels, but most are used by prostitutes and addicts. Not safe.

MaryBeth from Los Angeles

I don't see anything less than about $55/night, unless you find a hostel or couch surf