Ramon
Seattle

Ramon from Seattle asked

Which beaches should I see?

I'll be visiting San Diego during spring break and I've decided to hit up LA while I'm at it.  Maybe for a day or so.  I'm looking at my map of LA and trying to get a sense of what the best beaches are there but I'm a little confused. Can someone tell me which are the best beaches? I'll be staying in Santa Monica, but I've heard that the beach there isn't very clean. Is that true?

Los Angeles   Santa Monica

G from Santa Monica

You should definitely see Surfrider Beach in Malibu. Its Mecca. The pier has been renovated and is nice place for a drink.

Ramon
Thank you George!

1. Surfrider Beach (attraction)
  2. Malibu (city)
Julie from Longmont

Huntington Beach is the official Surf City. The pier is a fun place to visit and play some volleyball. 

Ramon
Nice! Thank you Julie!

Susan from Manhattan Beach

It does depend on what activities you prefer. Manhattan Beach has the benefit of a strand (for biking, running), shops to rent bikes or boards, restaurants and bars all within walking distance of a clean, uncrowded beach.

Ramon
I'll be surfing in San Diego, but don't really have much of a plan in LA except to take pictures and enjoy the warm weather :) Manhattan Beach has been mentioned twice, so it must be good. Thank you Susan!

Peter

Santa Monica is just a different type of beach city. Much more about shopping (3rd street promenade) & the pier (games, rides). If you want a "classic" LA beach then I'd come down to Manhattan Beach where there's a great downtown, a boardwalk to bike/walk on, beach volleyball, clean sand etc.  Not to say santa monica isn't nice, it's just a very far distance between the boardwalk and the water, I'd say about 150yds in some spots.

Ramon
This is good to know. Thank you Peter!

Johnny from Manhattan Beach

I would rent a bicycle from Fun Bunns in Manhattan Beach and ride along The Strand. You can go south to Hermosa BeachRedondo Beach or go north towards Venice Beach or Santa Monica Pier. If you do go north be advised that you will have to go around Marina Del Rey so you will be riding for a few hundred miles on surface streets.

Ramon
Wow, I hadn't thought of renting a bike. I was just going to be a beach bum but this sounds way more awesome. Thank you for the suggestion Johnny!

1. Fun Bunns (attraction)
  2. Manhattan Beach (city)
  3. Hermosa Beach (city)
  4. Redondo Beach (city)
  5. Venice Beach (city)
  6. Santa Monica Pier (attraction)
  7. Marina Del Rey (city)
Christopher from Denver

The beaches in the Santa Monica area stay clean from my experience.  The beach is HUGE there so there are lots of good options.  Between Santa Monica Pier and Venice Pier is a good location i think.  Great beach, lots of people, places to eat, lots of people on the boardwalk.

Ramon
Awesome. Thank you Christopher!

1. Santa Monica Pier (attraction)
  2. Venice Pier (attraction)
Courtney from Chandler

Drive north up Pacific Coast Highway to Malibu, there is a great beach on the left before Zuma Beach called Westward Beach. Or go a little south of Santa Monica to Manhattan Beach, awesome city and beach and the best ice cream sandwiches. 

Ramon
Thank you for your suggestions Courtney!

1. Pacific Coast Highway (attraction)
  2. Malibu (city)
  3. Zuma Beach (attraction)
  4. Westward Beach (attraction)
  5. Santa Monica (city)
  6. Manhattan Beach (city)
Chris from Las Vegas

The beaches all have their own different character. I think they're all good for various reasons. It really depends what you're after... Some places to consider are:

Zuma Beach - generally quite nice (avoid the pay lot by parking on the road for free)

Manhattan Beach - good for body surfing, lots of volleyball; a little south

El Matador State Beach - super scenic

Venice Beach - super trinket touristy - the most urban; if you want people hustling you to buy cds and a high density of freek spirits go here

Ramon
The only one of these that I've heard before is Venice Beach, so I'm stoked to visit the others. Thank you sir!

Chris
Sure man! Have fun!

1. Zuma Beach (attraction)
  2. Manhattan Beach (city)
  3. El Matador State Beach (attraction)
  4. Venice Beach (city)
Gary from Thousand Oaks

Sometimes Santa Monica Bay can be a problem, but the beaches are always pristine.  Just west of Santa Monica into the Pacific Palisades and Malibu the beaches are great for almost 30 miles.  Zuma Beach is my favorite, but also like County Line (at the LA and Ventura County line).  Across from the beach is Neptune's Net, where one can occasionally spot a celebrity.

Ramon
Thank you Gary!

1. Santa Monica (city)
  2. Pacific Palisades (neighborhood)
  3. Malibu (city)
  4. Zuma Beach (attraction)
  5. Neptune's Net (restaurant)
Julia from Los Angeles

Ramon
Thank you Julia!

1. El Matador State Beach (attraction)
  2. Zuma Beach (attraction)
  3. Leo Carrillo State Park Beach (attraction)
Linda from Maryland

Ramon
Thank you Linda!

1. Malibu (city)