Avery
Berkeley

Avery from Berkeley asked

Where to stay when visiting Disneyland with kids

My husband and I are taking our kids to Disneyland for the first time over Thanksgiving break this year!  We're debating whether we should stay at the Disney Hotel or elsewhere.  Are there any better hotels out there or should we just book at the Disney Hotel?

Los Angeles (California)

Annemarie from New York City

Disney has a stable of "good neighbor" hotels that are less expensive than the DisneylandDisneyland Hotel but offer many of the same benefits. The Anabella Hotel and Hotel Menage are boutiques, but a bit of a walk from the main gate; I think they have a shuttle bus but I haven't used it. The Doubletree Suites is very close to the gate and microwaves in-room. Anything on South Harbor Blvd. is a good bet.

Avery
Thanks for the suggestions, Annemarie! I did not know about these "good neighbor" hotels, but they sound great! I'd actually rather stay at a boutique hotel than a big hotel. I'll have to call and see if they have any sort of transportation to the park from the hotel because we'd rather not have to deal with the cost and hassle of parking at the park. Thanks again!

1. Disneyland (attraction)
  2. Anabella Hotel (hotel)
  3. Hotel Menage (hotel)
Brew from Manhattan Beach

If the price doesn't scare you away, I would do the Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa.  Best access to Disneyland, California Adventure (private entrance from the hotel into the park), and Downtown Disney, great in-hotel restaurant, etc.  Not cheap, but a great, great experience.  If you really want to do it up, this is your best choice, IMO.  

Avery
I didn't know that there was a private entrance from the hotel to the park! That definitely changes a lot of things. I always try to save money when I can, but if something's a good value, I'm willing to spend. I'm going to have to look into this. Thanks for the info, Brew!