Fontane

Where to stay for an LA holiday?

I'm looking to go to Los Angeles next year for roughly 2 weeks with two friends and we want to do typical tourist things such as Disneyland, Universal Studios and the WB Studio Tour.  

Where would be the best place to stay so that we could travel to all 3 places? I know that travel distances are awkward. Would it be better to stay airbnb in a neutral location? Or one hotel or move hotels mid trip?

Max

Stay near Hollywood for Universal Studios Hollywood and the Warner Bros. VIP Tours

You can drive the 75-90 minutes to Disneyland Park or move hotels if you are going to Disney/ California Adventure for multiple days

1. Hollywood (city)
  2. Universal Studios Hollywood (attraction)
  3. Warner Bros. VIP Tours (attraction)
  4. Disneyland Park (attraction)

Andrew

If you can get up early getting down to Walt Disney Concert Hall might not take that long from Studio City. And by early I mean you're in the car by 6 or 7am. This is less of a worry on weekdays, but if you're going to drive down on the weekend it's best to swap out hotels for something in Anaheim so you have more time in the park/s. Universal City, CA and Warner Bros Studio are literally right next to each other separated by Barham Blvd. so you can stay anywhere in Studio City for those.

If the trip is purely for theme parks don't forget about Six Flags Magic Mountain, which is about a 30 minute drive north from studio city, and has real rollercoasters. And Knott's Berry Farm which is only a few miles from Disney.

1. Walt Disney Concert Hall (attraction)
  2. Studio City (city)
  3. Universal City, CA (attraction)
  4. Warner Bros Studio (attraction)
  5. Six Flags Magic Mountain (restaurant)
  6. Knott's Berry Farm (attraction)

Fritzi from San Francisco

I highly recommend you consider Pasadena. It is a lively town with amazing architecture, a walkable downtown and several world class museums. Hotels are much more affordable in Pasadena as opposed to the beach cities. You can get to all the tourist attractions, and I agree, stay in Anaheim for Disneyland Park. In researching my own SoCal getaway, I was amazed at how expensive Airbnb has become with the cleaning fees and taxes. It is such a risk I personally prefer a known hotel brand. Be prepared to drive and get off the freeways between 3 and 7pm. Or figure out the metro. LA can be lots of fun. Enjoy.

1. Pasadena (city)
  2. Anaheim (city)
  3. Disneyland Park (attraction)

Jean from France

Hello, 

My first choice will be Santa Monica. Nice area, nice beaches, close to Venice Beach. My second will be West Hollywood and Beverly Hills, close to Universal Studios Hollywood and Warner Bros Studio. Avoid LA Downtown Los Angeles

1. Santa Monica (city)
  2. Venice Beach (attraction)
  3. West Hollywood (city)
  4. Beverly Hills (neighborhood)
  5. Universal Studios Hollywood (attraction)
  6. Warner Bros Studio (attraction)
  7. Downtown Los Angeles (metro area)

Winifred from Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Universal City, CA and Warner Bros Studio are not that far from each other.  Disneyland is in Anaheim.  It is about an hour south of LA.  So if you want to switch hotels, you might consider a night in Anaheim. Because of Disneyland, there are many hotels to choose from.  However, pretty much everything else you want to see will be in LA. So you can find a hotel or Airbnb in the San Fernando Valley (near the studios) or more centrally in West Hollywood.  You will likely want to go to the beaches in Venice Beach and Santa Monica, but things places to stay tend to be pricier in that area and the traffic is a bit of a nightmare.  So check out places in the valley, or West LA or Hollywood or West Hollywood. You can take a Metro or Uber to the beach or drive if you rent a car.  Los Angeles is very spread out, so it is hard to say exactly where you might want to stay.

1. Universal City, CA (attraction)
  2. Warner Bros Studio (attraction)
  3. Disneyland (attraction)
  4. Anaheim (city)
  5. West Hollywood (city)
  6. Venice Beach (attraction)
  7. Santa Monica (city)