Bill

Where do I go for a good hike?

Where do I go for a good hike in Los Angeles?

Spencer from Los Angeles

Well probably the most popular is Runyon Canyon Park. There are a couple different trails that vary in difficulty and you could do the entire thing in a couple hours at the most. On the weekend, however, it can be a bit crowded and hard to find parking. Nonetheless, great panoramic views of L.A. and on a really clear day (especially just after a rain shower) you can see all across Los Angeles County, past the ocean, and some of the islands just off shore. 

My preference for Central L.A., however, is Griffith Park. You've got more than 50 miles of trails to choose from, great views, and feels quite a bit more rugged and hiker-friendly than Runyon. My favorite trails leave right from Griffith Observatory. Just part at the observatory and start taking one of the trails up. It's particularly awesome at night when L.A. is all lit up.

Last, but not least, my favorite hikes can be found at Topanga State Park. I typically enter on the southeastern side near Will Rogers State Historic Park. There are so many miles of trails, that you can't really go wrong, but some of the trails that leave by Will Rogers afford some awesome overlooks where you get great views of the beach, Santa Monica, Venice, and beyond.

1. Runyon Canyon Park (attraction)
  2. Griffith Park (attraction)
  3. Griffith Observatory (attraction)
  4. Topanga State Park (attraction)
  5. Will Rogers State Historic Park (attraction)

Breanna from Los Angeles

Oh man, I love this question. Why? Because I'm obsessed with Beachwood Canyon and hiking to the Hollywood Sign. Even after hiking it for 5+ years, it still doesn't get old. Perks are that it isn't overcrowded and a fat *ss like me can even hike it. Plus, I always have one of those - 'oh yeah, this is why I live here' moments.

1. Hollywood Sign (attraction)

JR from Manhattan Beach

I recently made it down to Abalone Cove Shoreline Park. It's not a strenuous hike, but it makes up for it with beauty (my kinda hike!). You can walk right along the rocky beach and up to the bluff for amazing views. The day we were there, we saw dolphins playing within 20 feet of the shore. 

Parking is easy (costs $5 or so) and the "hike" is probably only a couple mile round trip. Enjoy! 

1. Abalone Cove Shoreline Park (attraction)

Valerie from Los Angeles

Hi Bill! 

Griffith Park is a great area for hiking. Gorgeous view of the city and The Griffith Observatory

Runyon Canyon Park is another popular spot. Again, great views but it's packed on the weekends. Avoid Saturday and Sunday if you aren't into the crowds. 

My personal favorite is Temescal Canyon Park. Awesome ocean view, great place to hike towards dusk. 

1. Griffith Park (attraction)
  2. The Griffith Observatory (attraction)
  3. Runyon Canyon Park (attraction)
  4. Temescal Canyon Park (attraction)

John from San Diego

My favorite place to hike is in the Palisades Highlands at the Santa Ynez Canyon Trail off of Vereda De La Montura. It follows a seasonal creek and is surprisingly verdant. Lots of cool boulders and it is in a ravine so the sun is not a big issue. 

1. Santa Ynez Canyon Trail (attraction)
  2. Vereda De La Montura (attraction)

Jessica from Los Angeles

Get ready, because I'm about to share one of my favorite ways to spend an afternoon. 

Drive to Malibu. Specifically, Malibu Seafood. Park in the lot adjacent to theirs. Bring cash for parking because you have to pay using the most adorably antiquated method ever. Enter through the trailhead off that parking lot. Hike up the mountain. Observe the spectacular view of the ocean and maybe catch a glimpse of a pod of dolphins or flock of pelicans. Hike back down, replenish all of the calories you just burned with fish and fries. (Repeat if desired.)

1. Malibu Seafood (restaurant)

Vicky from Los Angeles

Temescal Canyon Park is my favorite hike in LA because it's a pretty easy loop (around 3 miles, depending on which trail you're on), you get amazing views of the ocean and the Palisades, and there's a waterfall. 

Griffith Park offers many trails you can get on depending on how far you'd like to go and what you'd like to see. 

For something different, try Red Rock Canyon in Topanga if you like colorful sandstone and beautiful views of LA.

1. Temescal Canyon Park (attraction)
  2. Griffith Park (attraction)
  3. Red Rock Canyon (attraction)

Leonor from Los Angeles

Hi! Check out the Griffith Observatory in Los Angeles . There's a great and safe hike trail. Also the trail that leads you to the Hollywood sign. All very safe and fun.

1. Griffith Observatory (attraction)

Kristin from New York City

If you want a decent out-of-the-city-limits hike, try Temescal Canyon Park as suggested by some of the other folks here. If you want a pretty fun, yet serious workout, try Baldwin Hills Scenic Overlook in Culver City. It's a set of stone steps that will take you straight up to an awesome vista and then you can take the long, windy path back down. If you want a true blue hike... I've got a few favorites... Bridge to Nowhere Hike Entrance in the San Gabriel Mountains is a bit of a hike (pun!) to get to, but it's awesome. Rising Sun Trail in Solstice Canyon has some awesome views, intense miles and cool points of history. At Malibu Creek State Park you can hike to the old MASH set! The Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area have tons of trails...some include swimming holes and cliff jumps (at your own risk!) Other noteables: Nicholas Flat Trail in Leo Carillo, Sullivan Canyon and Eagle Rock in Topanga. Hike on!!

1. Temescal Canyon Park (attraction)
  2. Baldwin Hills Scenic Overlook (attraction)
  3. Bridge to Nowhere Hike Entrance (attraction)
  4. Rising Sun Trail (attraction)
  5. Malibu Creek State Park (attraction)
  6. Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area (attraction)
  7. Nicholas Flat Trail (attraction)
  8. Sullivan Canyon (attraction)
  9. Eagle Rock (neighborhood)

iPic Runyon Canyon Park. But be prepared you'll probably run into B list celebrities and reality TV stars.

1. Runyon Canyon Park (attraction)