Spencer

What are the best rooftop bars in L.A.?

Think DTLA, Mid City, and west side. Nothing too fancy, but good vibe and great views. Whatcha' got?

Jillian from Los Angeles

Fun! I've lived in L.A. for almost 2 years now, and here are a few of my favorites so far:

DTLA

Perch - It may be a little on the fancy side, but not anything out of the ordinary for Los Angeles. Plus, they have live music from jazz to DJ's into the night. Not to mention delicious cocktails, my favorites being the Lolita or Penicillin. Here's a shot I took from the last time I was there when the California Feet Warmers played. And yes, that is a washboard. :)

I also really enjoy the Upstairs Bar at the Ace Hotel for the atmosphere and views. One of my favorite venues to see a live show is the The Theatre at Ace Hotel, not only because it is truly a beautiful venue, but because I get to have a drink here before! With that being said, they also have free (sometimes you need to rsvp though) live music and cool events on the rooftop as well to check out. My favorite cocktail upstairs is the Wing Wing (because if has mezcal in it!). 

Westside 

High Rooftop Lounge at Hotel Erwin in Venice for sunset. Make a reservation for a table in advance if you want to be sure to have a seat. It's a great place to take out of town guests to impress, but the area around there can be a bit interesting with Venice boardwalk being so close. 

I also love Moonshadows Malibu although not a rooftop, there is a great outside area right on the ocean. It's pretty amazing. Definitely a little bit more expensive, but I love stopping for apps and a nice buttery chard. Here is a picture I took last time I was there.Enjoy :) Excited to see the other answers here as well! -JG 

1. Perch (restaurant)
  2. Upstairs Bar at the Ace Hotel (restaurant)
  3. The Theatre at Ace Hotel (attraction)
  4. High Rooftop Lounge (attraction)
  5. Hotel Erwin (hotel)
  6. Moonshadows Malibu (restaurant)

Oscar from Los Angeles, California

I have been to The Standard Downtown LA and really enjoyed my time there. I got a snobby vibe at first at the entrance and there was a $20 cover. But once inside I liked the vibe, the bartenders were friendly and poured generously. Also nice views from the roof and cool decor and pool up there.

1. The Standard Downtown LA (hotel)

Kelly from Los Angeles

Two beachside bars to throw into the mix: At sunset, check out the High Rooftop Lounge at the Hotel Erwin in Venice, which has great views of the boardwalk and ocean. But if you want somewhere to go during the day, head to Hennessey's Tavern in Hermosa Beach. This one's a local favorite, and it's right above the Strand. 

1. High Rooftop Lounge (attraction)
  2. Hotel Erwin (hotel)
  3. Hennessey's Tavern (restaurant)
  4. Hermosa Beach (city)

John from Venice Beach

There is a great rooftop bar at the Hotel Shangri-La in Santa Monica.  Although not technically a rooftop, the The Penthouse located on the top of the The Huntley Hotel has a bar with amazing 360 degree views.  Downtown the Takami Sushi & Robatahas amazing views and great sushi!  Of course the Skybar and The Standard Downtown LA are old time favs.  In the South bay there is a roof deck at the Shade Hotel for drinks and views too. 

1. Hotel Shangri-La (hotel)
  2. The Penthouse (restaurant)
  3. The Huntley Hotel (hotel)
  4. Takami Sushi & Robata (restaurant)
  5. Skybar (attraction)
  6. The Standard Downtown LA (hotel)
  7. Shade Hotel (hotel)

Katherine from San Diego

My favorite rooftop bar in LA is Perch .  Like Jillian said, it is a little on the fancy side, because it's LA, but not too fancy, and the vibe is laid back, the live music is really great, and the view is fantastic.

1. Perch (restaurant)