Michelle
Mesa

What are the best hotel pools in L.A.?

I’m going to L.A. with two girlfriends in July! We’ve heard there are a lot of hotel pools where you can just go and hang out all day. Can anyone tell me some of the best ones? We have a place to stay, so we're looking for hotels where we don't have to be guest (we don't mind paying a cover charge if they have them) and that have a good poolside bar. Thanks!

Claire from Los Angeles

Let me preface this by saying there are way fewer hotel pools than you'd expect in a place as beautiful and warm as Los Angeles, and the ones available to non-guests usually require some jumping through hoops, like a cover charge or booking a cabana. I'd recommend calling any of these ahead of time to ensure you can get in, and there's not a conflicting event. Someone start a swim club here already! :)

• Ace Hotel Los Angeles is brand new and has a rooftop pool, but it seems to be just a few feet deep, and not great for actual swimming. But the bar up there sounds awesome ( Upstairs Rooftop Lounge at Ace Hotel), I'll let you know how it is after my stay there tomorrow night.
  • The Standard Downtown LA has the best pool in downtown LA. They have these great loungers, a biergarten, and project movies onto a nearby building at night. Your best bet for accessing the pool is to attend one of their weekend pool parties. Follow them on Facebook, and when they post about them, you can usually RSVP right there. Otherwise, it's usually a $20 cover charge to enter the pool at night.
  • Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills has a cute little quiet pool. Your best bet there would be to have brunch poolside, and then attempt a dip. Though I'm not sure how nice they'd be about letting you hang out there for an extended period without being a guest.
  • Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel pool, I haven't been to and don't know the rules, but the rest of the hotel is awesome and worth a visit.
  • SIXTY Beverly Hills used to be the Thompson, and I stayed here a few birthdays ago. I got a cabana for the day, which was great for getting out of the sun and having drinks delivered to. Problem was, the place got packed with random d-bags fist pumping to the DJ, which got pretty annoying. Not sure what the scene is like these days.

Brad from Granada Hills

Hey There, 

I would go with Rooftop Bar at The Standard. I've been to a couple different rooftops and this was the most fun! Have fun!

1. Rooftop Bar at The Standard (attraction)

Stephen from Venice Beach

1. The Standard Downtown LA (hotel)
  2. Mondrian Hotel- Hollywood (attraction)
  3. The W Hotel Los Angeles - Westwood (hotel)

Sia from Santa Monica

One of them would be The Standard Downtown LA in Downtown LA

1. The Standard Downtown LA (hotel)

Manuri from Los Angeles

1. The Edison (attraction)
  2. The Standard Downtown LA (hotel)