Greg

Visiting LA in July, best ways of transportation without a car?

My wife and I will be visiting LA in July. We are staying at the L.A. Hotel Downtown, South Figueroa Street, and want to travel to the La Brea Tar pits one day and the Getty Museum and villa the next. We won't have a car. I'd like your advice on the best ways to get there by both taxi, public transport and any other ways I haven't considered yet? Thank you

Theresa from Hollywood

Uber is really popular here in LA, but I prefer using Sidecar or Lyft. The prices tend to work with my budget a bit better!

Shane from Los Angeles

Hi, Greg-

For Travel to La Brea Tar Pits/LACMA I would take a Rapid, which is the express bus service by Metro. Or, if you could also take an Uber, which has varying options for pricing. For travel to the Getty Museum or the Getty Villa I would just suggest using an Uber. If it's possible Uber Pool is an even cheaper way to go. Hope that helps!

www.metro.net

Breanna from Los Angeles

To the La Brea Tar Pits, there's a Metro bus that you can take from Olympic/Figueroa to Olympic/Hauser. That will be your cheapest option and is pretty easy.

Unfortunately public transportation in LA isn't the best, and getting to The Getty Center is probably going to take you at least an hour (probably more like 1.5 to 2 hours). I would recommend either doing part public transportation and part Uber/Lyft, or just doing an Uber/Lyft from the start. In the app you can type in the end location and get a fare estimate before calling for a car.

1. La Brea Tar Pits (attraction)
  2. The Getty Center (attraction)

Lanka from Los Angeles

Very simple, check out: metro.net and you will save a lot of money you can use on your trip. You just enter your starting point, and your ending point, the date, and desired departure or arrival time, and depending on your internet provider you will have your trip within moments. I recently found out that for a one way trip using multiple transfers for metro buses and/or rails, it costs only $1.75! (Granted you do so within 2 hours)

Not experienced with Uber but I hear good things. If you want, check out the travel times of your trips on google maps and see the different times between driving and taking metro. When you are in LA and traveling during the rush hours 6AM-11AM and 3PM-8PM, you will be stuck in traffic. Check out our sigalert.com as well. Safe travels! 

Kelly from Santa Monica

Besides Uber if you are staying in Santa Monica or Venice Beach area then getting a bicycle and walking is the best.

1. Santa Monica (city)
  2. Venice Beach (city)

Chris from Los Angeles

Uber.com or Lyft.com and download each of these rideshare apps.  Best and cheapest form of transportation all over LA.

Chris from Los Angeles

Uber.com and download the app to your phone.  Cheapest way to get anywhere in LA right now.

Spencer from Los Angeles

So from DTLA, you have the convenience of the metro which is great for going to Culver City (great restaurants and bars) and Hollywood. For getting to the La Brea Tar Pits, I'd consider just taking the bus or a combination of bus and metro. So maybe take the metro to the Wilshire stop and then take a bus or Uber/Lyft from there. For getting out to the Getty, I'd do Uber/Lyft. Just beware it'll probably be $60 round-trip. For that, you may want to rent a car just for the day, since there's a ton of great stuff out near the Getty, like Malibu Pier (great restaurant at the end, Malibu Farm Cafe), Rosenthal Wine Bar & PatioNeptune's Net, and El Matador State Beach.

1. Culver City (city)
  2. Hollywood (attraction)
  3. Malibu Pier (attraction)
  4. Malibu Farm Cafe (restaurant)
  5. Rosenthal Wine Bar & Patio (attraction)
  6. Neptune's Net (restaurant)
  7. El Matador State Beach (attraction)

Colleen from Brooklyn

Uber will be your best friend. It's pretty reasonably priced compared with other cities (provided you don't get stuck traveling during a super-peak time).  But if you're Downtown Los Angeles you'll also be able to use the Metro, which is super easy to use. The Los Angeles tourism board actually has a super helpful website entirely devoted to exploring the city without a car.  I've used it a ton of times to map out my route: http://www.discoverlosangeles.com/CarFreeLA

1. Downtown Los Angeles (metro area)

Jordan from Mito

I'd go with an uber or taxi. If its during traffic hours take the 110S to Olympic and take that till you get to La Brea Ave.

Jessica from Los Angeles

Yup, Uber will be your best friend! LA public transport is notoriously lacking, and downtown really isn't walking distance from anything except, well, downtown. If at all possible, I would look into renting a car for at least part of your visit! If you can't drive, definitely plan to Uber it.

Jibé from Los Angeles

You might want to get the Uber app and use it. Best service to get around!