Sarah

Unique events / experiences for a mid-20s birthday celebration in LA?

Looking for some outside-the-box ideas for my birthday celebration. Some LA activities/food I love: Cinespia (movies in the cemetery), Badmaash (Indian fusion), Bestia (amazing Italian restaurant), etc. Probably 12 people. 

Brianne from Silverlake

happy birthday!

it depends on what kind of birthday celebration you are looking for and which part of LA you would like to celebrate in. 

on the eastside:

for a day time celebration there is brunch or drinks at Perch in downtown los angeles - be prepared for some pretty fantastic views and live music on the weekends! Elysian Park is another great place to explore the LA vista - bring a blanket, a jambox, and stuff to BBQ.

for an evening celebration the Ace Hotel Los Angeles , the Rooftop Bar at The StandardThe Standard Downtown LA, and Villains Tavern are all great. La Cita Bar and The Short Stop have some wonderfully sketchy dancing.

on the westside:

Do a pub crawl down the beach and end your night at Hotel Erwin, or grab a dinner and drinks at Blind Barber in culver.

this city has so much to offer, i could keep going on and on. good luck with your plans!

1. Perch (restaurant)
  2. Elysian Park (attraction)
  3. Ace Hotel Los Angeles (hotel)
  4. Rooftop Bar at The Standard (attraction)
  5. The Standard Downtown LA (hotel)
  6. Villains Tavern (attraction)
  7. La Cita Bar (attraction)
  8. The Short Stop (attraction)
  9. Hotel Erwin (hotel)
  10. Blind Barber (attraction)

Personally, no matter how many times I see Marty and Elayne work their magic at The Dresden Room piano bar it's just never enough. My guess is that at their age they're probably not going to be doing this too much longer so I would catch them if you can. 

1. The Dresden Room (attraction)

Trevor from Los Angeles

If you're looking for something outside-of-the-box and not the typical LA bar scene birthday, I have two ideas for you. 

This one is kind of a crazy, but if you could pull it off I think it could be pretty memorable -- rent a house with a great view for the night on AirBnB or a similar site (maybe something in the Hollywood Hills or Downtown LA) and throw a dinner party. 

Another option -- bring your friends out to Malibu Family Wines. This outdoor tasting room has tons of places to relax and on sunny weekends the vibe is festive yet laid back. Just make sure to pack a big picnic and buy a few bottles of wine when you get there. There's live music in the afternoons and evenings on weekend's and movie screenings on Thursday nights.  

Enjoy and happy birthday!

1. Malibu Family Wines (attraction)

Tina from Los Angeles

Hi Sarah! 

I just faced a similar problem for my birthday this month and decided to do a few things. 

For an evening celebration I went to the Hotel Shangri-La rooftop bar/lounge in Santa Monica. It's a well hidden spot, and rumor has it that a bachelor lived in the penthouse suite and turned into into a bar that is now called Suite 700 at Hotel Shangri-La. The bar has a beautiful view of the ocean and the Santa Monica Pier! There are great indoor, outdoor, and greenhouse type seating areas with a firepit outside to stay warm while you enjoy the view. There's also a DJ inside and a small dance floor. 

A small part of the outside lounge area at Shangri - La.

Now I know this isn't Los Angeles, but in Newport Beach, a few friends and I rented a 8 passenger boat for a few hours, brought some drinks, snacks, and music and had an amazing time! The prices are very affordable if you rent through Marina Boat Rentals, and you can even find Groupons for them.

And if you do decide to head to Newport, you must must eat at Mama D's Italy Kitchen! The best service in the entire world with amazing, authentic Italian food! 

p.s. There's also great deals on kayaking in Naples Canal in Long Beach if you go through the company called Kayaks On the Water! :) 

Hope you have an amazing time celebrating and find what you're looking for! Happy Birthday! 

1. Hotel Shangri-La (hotel)
  2. Suite 700 at Hotel Shangri-La (attraction)
  3. Santa Monica Pier (attraction)
  4. Newport Beach (city)
  5. Marina Boat Rentals (attraction)
  6. Mama D's Italy Kitchen (restaurant)
  7. Naples Canal (attraction)
  8. Long Beach (city)
  9. Kayaks On the Water (attraction)

Jenny from Old Bridge, New Jersey

For after dinner drinks or a meet up with friends check out No Vacancy, an interactive speakeasy bar in Hollywood with a beautiful outdoor seating area or the new bar Good Times at Davey Wayne's, a new 70s bar that just opened. 

1. No Vacancy (attraction)
  2. Good Times at Davey Wayne's (attraction)

Tim from Santa Barbara

Try Cowboys and Turbans in Silver Lake.

1. Cowboys and Turbans (restaurant)