Aly

Safe and affordable neighborhoods to rent in LA without gang violence??

I'm moving from Chicago to LA with my brothers at the end of the summer. I want to make sure we don't end up in a dangerous neighborhood, as gang violence and shootings are things we have to worry about in Chicago. Any suggestions of neighborhoods with no gang violence in LA??

Hi Aly,

I don't live in LA but have spent a few weeks there in 2015 and again this year. We stayed in the West Hollywood area,(WeHo) between Sunset Blvd and Hayworth and found it very safe. I don't know how affordable it would be long term but there were very nice apartments on many of the streets off Sunset. We didn't have a car this year and walked a lot, even late at night. I never felt unsafe. I hope you find a nice place to live.

1. Sunset Blvd (attraction)

Fritzi from San Francisco

Los Angeles is huge. The city encompasses the San Fernando Valley , which within it has many residential communities. You also have the "west side" near the beach, the downtown, which is becoming more desirable as a place to live, the Wilshire corridor, the hills and canyons, and literally dozens of communities with different weather and served by different freeways. The most important factor, which has been stated, is where is your job or school? Start there. Compton and Watts are probably the best known dangerous LA neighborhoods. I have a friend in El Segundo, near LAX airport. He does not have a high paying job and seems to like it there. Another friend lives in Jefferson. I love Pasadena , which has beautiful architecture. It depends upon what you can afford. But I think you will enjoy life in LA especially after Chicago winters. Public transit is complex, so I hope you will have a car.

1. San Fernando Valley (attraction)
  2. Compton (city)
  3. Watts (attraction)
  4. El Segundo (attraction)
  5. Jefferson (attraction)
  6. Pasadena (city)

Nicole from Los Angeles

There's more neighborhoods without gang violence than those with gang violence. LA is a very, very big place. If you're moving for work, I'd suggest starting out with "looking for safe and affordable neighborhoods near [whatever area you'll be working in]." Redondo Beach is very far away from Northridge which is a haul from Pasadena, just to give three examples of "Los Angeles."

1. Redondo Beach (city)
  2. Northridge (city)
  3. Pasadena (city)

Olivia from Los Angeles

Most places you'll be fine. All the beach cities, West HollywoodSilver LakeLos FelizEcho Park are the best but there are a million 'safe neighborhoods' here. Obviously don't move to South Central and do yourself a favor a avoid the Valley because its boring and sucks. 

1. West Hollywood (city)
  2. Silver Lake (attraction)
  3. Los Feliz (neighborhood)
  4. Echo Park (attraction)

Winifred from Milwaukee, Wisconsin

There are so many places to choose from.  You should think about where you have to get to because Los Angeles is much more spread out than Chicago.  Culver City is a great area with lots of restaurants and movie theaters and lots of apartments.  The mid Wilshire area also has a broad range of living options and is a bit cheaper than the far west side.  If you want to be further east or near downtown try Eagle Rock or Los Feliz.  There is also the valley. Studio CitySherman OaksBurbank (California), Burbank all have safe and reasonable (for LA) housing.  Housing in Los Angeles is expensive. 

A note-- Inglewood was considered dangerous for a long time, but has really cleaned up its act.  There are some nice places there and probably more affordable.

1. Culver City (city)
  2. Eagle Rock (neighborhood)
  3. Los Feliz (neighborhood)
  4. Studio City (city)
  5. Sherman Oaks (attraction)
  6. Burbank (California) (city)
  7. Inglewood (city)

Heather from Carlsbad (California)

Hi Aly! L.A. is an enormous and very diverse city. There are a lot of areas that are perfectly safe without gang violence and others that are not so great. The thing about L.A., however, is that the areas are all kind of peppered throughout the city and metro area, so there are good and bad areas all over. My best advice for moving to Los Angeles is to take into consideration where you are going to be working or going to school and try to live as close by as possible. The traffic here is killer! Since I'm not sure where you're going to be working/attending school, here are a few areas I recommend in L.A. in general, but if you have more specifics about where you'll be I would be happy to elaborate. 
Try these areas:

South BayRancho Palos VerdesManhattan BeachHermosa BeachRedondo BeachNorth HollywoodEcho ParkGlendaleEagle RockSilver LakeWest Los AngelesStudio CityPlaya VistaValley Village.

Hope this was helpful!

1. South Bay (attraction)
  2. Rancho Palos Verdes (city)
  3. Manhattan Beach (city)
  4. Hermosa Beach (city)
  5. Redondo Beach (city)
  6. North Hollywood (attraction)
  7. Echo Park (attraction)
  8. Glendale (city)
  9. Eagle Rock (neighborhood)
  10. Silver Lake (attraction)
  11. West Los Angeles (attraction)
  12. Studio City (city)
  13. Playa Vista (attraction)
  14. Valley Village (attraction)

Nicole from Los Angeles

1. Redondo Beach (city)
  2. Northridge (city)
  3. Pasadena (city)

Nicole from Los Angeles

1. Redondo Beach (city)
  2. Northridge (city)
  3. Pasadena (city)

Nicole from Los Angeles

1. Redondo Beach (city)
  2. Northridge (city)
  3. Pasadena (city)

Diana from Los Angeles

Hey so it really depends on what area you are looking to live in. Western or eastern Los Angeles. Los Angeles is so big I would first look into a few areas and then ask the question again :)