Megan

Los Angeles, Seattle, Pacific Coast Hwy

Road Trip from Los Angeles to Seattle. Where to stop?

My best friend and I are driving from Los Angeles to Seattle. Besides the obvious places what are your best suggestions of "off the beaten path" places to see, experience, eat at, drink at etc. We are both coffee and photo enthusiasts. We will also be camping so any great tent camping suggestions would be awesome.

We are taking ten days to drive up the coast and not looking to spend a lot of money. Just looking to enjoy nature and see all of the West Coast.  

Chris from Issaquah

You absolutely have to stop in the Redwood National Park and walk the Fern Canyon Trail! It was the highlight of my Redwood trip last summer. 

http://www.redwoods.info/showrecord.asp?id=476

Other great places are the Oregon Caves National Monument & Preserve, Cape Kiwanda State Natural Area, and Cannon Beach.

1. Redwood National Park (park)
  2. Oregon Caves National Monument & Preserve (attraction)
  3. Cape Kiwanda State Natural Area (attraction)
  4. Cannon Beach (attraction)

Toni from Los Angeles

Hi Megan,

I took this trip at Christmas (LA to Portland) and will actually be doing it again in a few weeks.  Provided you are taking the 101 up the coast, these are some of the thing we did/will do.

Brown Butter Cookie Co in Cayucos - I have no idea how they do it, but these things are like crack and the town is very cute. 

Take a Tour of Hearst Castle (tour requires reservations typically)

There are many breathtaking ocean stops, but some popular ones are Avila Beach Pier and Pfeiffer Beach.  We drove through the Drive-Thru Tree Park (Chandelier) and drove the Avenue of the Giants Southern Entrance.  AMAZING

Once you get into Oregon, look up Cafe Yumm! (On Broadway) to find a location.  It's SO GOOD.

This trip we are going to hit Lucky Penny and A Deli and Pieman Pies for breakfast/bites.

I would recommend getting the Roadtrippers app.  Very helpful.

Safe travels!

1. Brown Butter Cookie Co (restaurant)
  2. Hearst Castle (attraction)
  3. Avila Beach Pier (attraction)
  4. Pfeiffer Beach (attraction)
  5. Drive-Thru Tree Park (attraction)
  6. Avenue of the Giants Southern Entrance (attraction)
  7. Cafe Yumm! (On Broadway) (restaurant)
  8. Lucky Penny (restaurant)