Orel

Recommendations for place to stay in Santa Monica

I would like to get some recommendations for places to stay at in Santa Monica.

Also- i've read somewhere it's not saffe to walk around Santa Monica during the evening / night.. Is that true?

Spencer from Los Angeles

I would probably say that Santa Monica is one of the safest hoods to walk around in L.A. But as others have mentioned, it's one of the most popular, and so rates can be expensive as you can imagine. The likes of Shore HotelHotel Shangri-La, and The Georgian Hotel are there across from the beach, but start at $300 per night. My favorite is probably the Palihouse Santa Monica. And definitely agree with what everyone said about Hotel Erwin

I recently wrote a guide about where to stay in Santa Monica for SantaMonica.com:

http://www.santamonica.com/hotels/where-to-stay-in-santa-monica-ca-neighborhood-guide/

1. Santa Monica (city)
  2. Shore Hotel (hotel)
  3. Hotel Shangri-La (hotel)
  4. The Georgian Hotel (hotel)
  5. Palihouse Santa Monica (hotel)
  6. Hotel Erwin (hotel)

Kyle from Los Angeles

Depends on your budget - there are several expensive hotels on Ocean Ave. that I'm sure you've come across in your search - Loews Santa Monica Beach HotelViceroy Santa MonicaShutters On the Beach,  Hotel Shangri-La and Palihouse Santa Monica are all good options. If you're on a tighter budget there are cheaper options further away from the beach.

Santa Monica is super touristy. I work here and have never had a problem. There are homeless people but they are mostly harmless. It's mostly family and couples just looking to have a good vacation!

1. Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel (hotel)
  2. Viceroy Santa Monica (hotel)
  3. Shutters On the Beach (hotel)
  4. Hotel Shangri-La (hotel)
  5. Palihouse Santa Monica (hotel)

Suzanne from Pasadena

No one has mentioned The Huntley Hotel It's a very cool hotel and the bar on the roof has views to die for! Santa Monica/Venice are very safe at night. Visit Venice Beach and Abbot Kinney for great shopping and for some of the best food you will find. Gjelina is out of this world.

1. The Huntley Hotel (hotel)
  2. Venice Beach (city)
  3. Abbot Kinney (attraction)
  4. Gjelina (restaurant)

Lindsay from Los Angeles, California

I agree with Lanee - Hotel Erwin is a cool, funky stay. But if you're set on Santa Monica, any of Kyle's suggestions are good. That said, I'd also recommend Hotel California, just because you'll be singing the song all day and night and why not. It's a fun, little independent boutique about a 5 minute walk from the Pier, right on Ocean Ave, convenient to restaurants, etc...SM is touristy but it's as safe as any other city - be mindful, and just don't hang out near Santa Monica City Hall at night. Have a great trip!

1. Hotel Erwin (hotel)
  2. Hotel California (hotel)
  3. Santa Monica City Hall (attraction)

Lanee from Los Angeles

Hi Orel!

I agree with Kyle. Santa Monica is super touristy. I'd recommend staying in Venice, roughly 10 minutes from the heart of Santa Monica, at Hotel Erwin. They have an incredible rooftop bar with amazing ocean views. The rooms are small-ish but modern and comfy. Roughly $250-300 a night during the high-season.

Cheers,

Lanee

1. Hotel Erwin (hotel)

Lisa from Los Angeles

Orel,

I walk in Santa Monica at night after salsa dancing. I think in any city you need to be careful and aware of your surroundings. There are many public parking lots that are lit at night and I have left dance at midnight or 1am and not felt nervous to walk to my car by myself.

It is a great place to visit.

Lisa

Claire from San Diego

I don't know what kind of budget you're looking at but for something on the cheap end, the Comfort Inn Santa Monica really isn't bad. If you want to go a little higher end, I would say try Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel

I actually think Santa Monica is relatively safe at night as long as you stay on the main streets like Third Street Promenade or even Broadway

1. Comfort Inn Santa Monica (hotel)
  2. Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel (hotel)
  3. Santa Monica (city)
  4. Third Street Promenade (attraction)
  5. Broadway (attraction)