Bianca
Miami

Bianca from Miami asked

Luxury hotels in Los Angeles closer to the coast

I'm planning a trip to LA with some friends and we'd like to stay some place truly luxurious!  We'd like to stay as close to the coast as possible, but if there's some place that's really stellar that's a fairly short drive away from the coast, we don't mind that either.  Thanks!

Anthony

Hey Bianca, the good news is that you have a ton of options here. The bad news is that it might be hard to narrow them down. 

Terranea Resort in Palos Verdes is one of the most luxurious resorts in the area, but it's very isolated. There are a few restaurants and shops in the area, but any nightlife is at least 45 minutes away.

Shade Hotel and  The Beach House are two good finds in Manhattan Beach and Hermosa Beach, respectively. They are both luxury design hotels, right near/on the beach, and with lots of activity nearby. 

In Santa Monica/Malibu, you've got a bunch of options:  Loews Santa Monica Beach HotelViceroy Santa MonicaShore HotelMalibu Beach Inn are just a few. 

Hope that helps! 

Bianca
That's a problem I don't mind having! Very good to know! I'll look into all of these. I actually haven't thought about staying in Malibu, but that sounds appealing. Thanks for the recommendations, Anthony!

JR from Manhattan Beach

I think I have what you're looking for. These two places are side by side in Santa Monica on the beach and are two of the nicer hotels in LA.

Shutters On the Beach is classic beach style and right next door is Hotel Casa Del Mar. Both are top notch.

If you want to get out of the Santa Monica area, some of the other places mentioned are good options too. Terranea Resort is beautiful and could be a great call if you just want to hang at a resort, although a kind of a drive from LA. And Shade Hotel in Manhattan Beach is small (38 rooms) and nice (not as luxurious as Shutters or Casa del Mar). It has a lot of good shops and restaurants within walking distance. 

Brew
JR has nailed it. Shutters or Casa del Mar in Santa Monica. I'd also add in Loews Santa Monica... Nit as nice as Shutters or Casa del Mr, but good option in the area and probably less expensive. Shade is best towards Manhattan Beach.

Bianca
Right on the beach is what we had in mind. Thank you for the suggestions, JR and Brew!

Andrew from Minneapolis

Beverly Wilshire Hotel has the luxury and hospitality of a Four Seasons Hotel with the glitz and glamour of Beverly Hills, and Hotel Bel-Air Los Angeles is such a chic and luxurious spot to stay. I love it there.

For a spot right on the coast, check out Shutters On the Beach in Santa Monica. The ocean views are enough to bring me to this hotel. Add in a little luxury and a spa, and I'm there.

Bianca
All of these places sound like where it's at! Beverly Hills and Bel-Air definitely sound luxurious, but I'll mention Shutters to my friends as well. Thank you!

Johnny from Manhattan Beach

You should look into Shade Hotel. It's pricey but happening.

1. Shade Hotel (hotel)

Try the Viceroy Santa Monica. Werstler...Santa Monica...what else do you want? While it's not super cheap, this would be my first choice of hotels in L.A. It's fresh, it's well located, and I think years from now it's going to be considered a classic. 

Shutters On the Beach is one of my favorite places on earth. Understated glamour done perfectly. 

Bianca
Thanks, Courtney! So many people have suggested Shutters, so it must be good! :)