Edgar
South Pasadena

Los Angeles, Albuquerque, Oklahoma City

I would like to know the best itinerary to a long drive. Solo driver

I am moving from Los Angeles to The Woodlands TX. I would like to see Albuquerque NM and Oklahoma City.  

Any advice on places to stay or stop by and best number of days to get there. I was thinking to do it in two days. Please advice.  

Thank you.

Jeffrey from Los Angeles

I would agree 2 days it pushing it.  I moved from Houston to Los Angeles and it was two very long days of driving.  But I did manage to stop at T-Rocks and for some very cool geodes.  It's a fun, unique place to take a break to look at all the rocks.  Also I stopped at a great BBQ place outside of San Antonio Rudy's Country Store & Bar B Q and it was a nice surprise.  I didn't expect it to be that good.  Also I remember driving through Hill Country and found it to be a nice part of the drive.  

1. T-Rocks (attraction)
  2. Rudy's Country Store & Bar B Q (restaurant)
  3. Hill Country (attraction)

Janelle from Charleston

Two days is pushing it unless you've got someone with you who can take over the driving every once in a while.  The dangers to you and to others of driving while fatigued cannot be overstated.  Coffee or Red Bull might help keep you awake, but all the caffeine in the world won't improve your judgment if you're tired. 

Your route more or less follows I-40 to OKC and then I-35 south to the Houston area.  Flagstaff or the Grand Canyon National Park would make a nice stop after day one.  Albuquerque is OK but Santa Fe (an hour north) is an even nicer place to spend day 2.  Albuquerque-Oklahoma City takes about 6-7 hours, then Oklahoma City-The Woodlands is another 6-7 hours.  If you've only got 2-3 days I'd recommend skipping OKC and driving directly from Albuquerque/Santa Fe towards Houston, maybe spending day 3 in Austin or San Antonio

The most direct route would be to follow I-10 from L.A. all the way to Houston, but even that would be pushing it for 2 days. If it were me I'd do L.A.-Tucson on day 1, Tucson-El Paso on day 2, then El Paso-Houston on day 3.

1. Flagstaff (city)
  2. Grand Canyon National Park (park)
  3. Santa Fe (city)
  4. Oklahoma City (city)
  5. The Woodlands (city)
  6. Austin (city)
  7. San Antonio (city)
  8. Tucson (city)
  9. El Paso (city)

A

Cattleman's Steakhouse for dinner in OKC

1. Cattleman's Steakhouse (restaurant)

Mark

Edgar - If you are going to drive that far North, I would take advantage of everything that I-40 offers. Flagstaff is a great city. The Grand Canyon National Park will blow your mind. Albuquerquehas one of the coolest Zoos around. Just north is a real jewel in Santa Fe Grab a room near the town square and see some of the local sites (Churches, Galleries, Museums, religious sites). If I had to pick between Oklahoma Cityand San AntonioI would pick the latter. Drive safe - The The Woodlandshas a special place in my heart. Great golf, nice lake and gathering area, and of course Ironman Texas(!) in the spring. 

1. Flagstaff (city)
  2. Grand Canyon National Park (park)
  3. Albuquerque (city)
  4. Santa Fe (city)
  5. Oklahoma City (city)
  6. San Antonio (city)
  7. The Woodlands (city)