Iulia
Cluj-Napoca

How much does it cost to rent a car in Los Angeles ? ( 4 days )

Hey ! I am planning a trip to LA and i would like to know how much would a car cost? i saw the prices on the internet but i think there is an insurance policy that it's pretty big. I am not familiar with this..

Or can a just use the metro?

Thank you !

Alexander from Los Angeles

1. The prices may vary from company to company. Check out a few if you have time.
  2. Ask for discount. We did last time and got 20% off. Or you may have free upgrade.
  3. Consider alternative car renting providers, like https://turo.comhttps://www.getaround.com, www.zipcar.com
  4. Use meta search sites like https://www.kayak.com/cars or https://www.hipmunk.com/cars to find the best aggregated options.
  5. If you are not a US citizen, the number of companies is much smaller.
  6. It's cheaper to rent outside the airport since there are taxes.

We payed about $35/day in January with insurance(all-inclusive for the car, passengers not covered). We rented 2015 Nissan Sentra at hertz

I'm 100% sure you'll need a car in LA.You may go with Uber, but own car is much better. Good luck.

Iris from Dublin

Hi Iulia,

I would strongly recommend you to rent a car. Before renting a car, you should know some tips how to get lowest prices.

First, very often, it is better to book a car in advance. According to my experience, the best time is two weeks before you rental. Car rental providers often offer the lowest prices then.

Second, the prices differ depending on rental season, duration, drop-up and drop-off locations, etc. So, be careful while choosing pick-up location. For some suppliers the prices are lower in airport locations, for others - in city or downtown locations. For instance, Rental24H offers the cheapest deal in Los Angeles International Airport. Their prices start from $28 per day and include airport fee and all necessary insurance coverage.

Hope it will help!

1. Los Angeles International Airport (attraction)

Cameron from Manhattan Beach

Rent away from the airport to avoid the airport fees. I rented a car last week for seven days, from Hertz in Redondo Beach, for guests coming into town . Redondo Beach is about 7 miles from LAX.  I paid for the week in advance and got a midsize SUV for $165. You dont want anything too big in LA or parking can be a pain. There are lots of budget type rental agencies around, but beware the cars can be kind of dirty and have dings on them. If you want to go all out and have tons of money to spend, there is also Beverly Hills Rent a Car (at LAX) where you can rent exotics such as Ferraris and Lamborginis, but they cost around $800 -  $3,000 per day. :)

Luis from Mexico City, Mexico

you can do car rental thru hotwire.com and avoid extra insurance 3rd pary costs by using your credit card insurance! Good luck Los Angeles

1. Los Angeles (city)

Nancy from Birmingham (Alabama)

My husband and I just returned from LA and rented a car from Thrifty Car Rental for about $45 a day for the smallest car they had which had 4 doors and was actually comfortable for 4 people.

It is lots cheaper to rent away from the airport, since the taxes are lower. After leaving the airport, cross the street and wait under your rental car  company's sign.  A small bus will arrive and you'll be dropped at your car company, usually about a 10 minute drive away.

Theresa from Hollywood

I recommend a combination of Uber, Lyft, and the public transit system. Many claim that the Metro and bus system here is bad, and I'd ask them how often they take it. I take the Metro in Los Angeles daily, and it works out great. When I need to get somewhere where the bus system or Metro don't reach as well, I do Lyft or Uber.

The big benefits to this are to avoid the main things that Angelenos hate about Los Angeles. First, traffic. It sucks big time, so let someone else worry about it. People will say "Don't be on the highways from 8am to 11am and from 3pm to 7pm." So, basically most of the day...hopping in a Lyft or Uber will mean you don't have to stress about 6 lane highways.

Also, parking sucks big time, too. Many places are permit only, and garages add up. The amount of money you'll spend in insurance, parking, and gas will more than likely out-cost your a la carte car rides—*especially* if you plan well and see Los Angeles by neighborhoods. Places like Culver CityDowntown Los AngelesLos Angeles Arts DistrictLos FelizNorth HollywoodHollywoodLos Angeles ChinatownLittle Tokyo, Pasadena, and Highland Park you can reach by Metro. Then places like Santa MonicaVenice BeachManhattan Beach, and Beverly Hills you can take cars to. As long as you don't plan a day that involves a lot of going back and forth, you'll definitely save time and money.

1. Culver City (city)
  2. Downtown Los Angeles (metro area)
  3. Los Angeles Arts District (neighborhood)
  4. Los Feliz (neighborhood)
  5. North Hollywood (city)
  6. Hollywood (city)
  7. Los Angeles Chinatown (neighborhood)
  8. Little Tokyo (neighborhood)
  9. Pasadena (city)
  10. Highland Park (neighborhood)
  11. Santa Monica (city)
  12. Venice Beach (city)
  13. Manhattan Beach (city)
  14. Beverly Hills (neighborhood)

Scott from San Francisco

You generally need a car in LA.  Depending upon the season, there is a huge spread as to how much they will cost.  Most American auto insurance policies and good credit cards provide rental car insurance.  If you're international check with your credit card company and see if they provide rental car coverage. Also, pay attention to parking costs when booking your hotel, as the fees can be a significant added cost. Do the math though.  If you have to stay somewhere with a big parking fee (and don't forget there are parking fees at many destinations too), which can be up to $40 a day with taxes, then figure out if some combo of public transportation and Lyft Line (I can't stand Uber but Uber Pool is an alternative) might be cheaper and more convenient.  Do NOT take taxis in LA, you might as well just throw your money out the window.  

rena from Los Angeles

I recommend having a car. La doesn't have good public transportation. People recommend renting from Costco. Many credit card companies will give you rental car insurance for free, call your credit card company to find out.

Joey from Los Angeles

rentalcar.com

Fritzi from San Francisco

I always check many rental car prices including Budget, National, Enterprise, Hertz and Avis. With coupons you can rent a compact car for as low as $20/day in LA. You must shop around and be willing to rent a compact car. If you carry an American Express card you can skip insurance. I had a small accident once (fender bender) and AMEX stepped up and covered it. Don't let the rental agency sell you gas and be sure to allow lots of time to fill the car up before you return it to the agency.  

I have visited LA by public transit only and I don't recommend it. You just waste hours on the bus. The public transit is super confusing and when you try to get info by asking the driver, he doesn't know how the connections work either. So skip it, shop the agencies and drive carefully. Have fun in LA.