Louise

Los Angeles, Big Sur

How Does One Get to Big Sur Via Train and How Does One Get Around?

For my birthday this year, I want a group of people to take the Amtrak up to Big Sur. I want to see McWay Falls in person! I'm tired of seeing the Instagram pics. So my question (s) is ...

1. Amtrak, I believe I'll have to depart from Fullerton to get on the Pacific Surfliner

2. Rental Car available when I get there? 

3. Things to do aside from McWay Falls? 

Thank you in advance! 

Carol from Olympia (Washington)

The Surfliner will take you to Monterey where you will need a rental car to get south to Big Sur. The scenery is breathtaking driving down the coast and there are many places to stop and take photos and many little galleries and restaurants along the way. In Monterey don't miss the Monterey Bay Aquarium, Cannery Row and Fishermans Wharf. Carmel is also great for sightseeing and food.

1. Monterey (city)
  2. Big Sur (city)
  3. Monterey Bay Aquarium (attraction)
  4. Cannery Row (attraction)
  5. Fishermans Wharf (attraction)
  6. Carmel (city)

Travis from Traverse City, Michigan

Hi Louise, I was just researching this same trip! Check the schedules & routes because I think the Amtrak "Coast Starlight" route is direct to Salinas vs having to transfer to a bus at Grover Beach. I haven't done it yet so I'm not sure... it may also be worth it to jump out at San Luis Obispo and drive up from there?

1. Salinas (city)
  2. Grover Beach (city)
  3. San Luis Obispo (city)

Fritzi from San Francisco

Once you get to Big Sur there are a variety of options. Nepenthe is a famous Big Sur restaurant with amazing views. Post Ranch Inn is a very upscale lodging choice with a famous dining room. Deetjen's Big Sur Inn is a hippy style lodge with a reputation for good food. Big Sur is an epic California experience. Hope you get some great photos.

1. Nepenthe (restaurant)
  2. Big Sur (city)
  3. Post Ranch Inn (restaurant)
  4. Deetjen's Big Sur Inn (hotel)

AN from Los Angeles

Amtrak, I believe I'll have to depart from Fullerton to get on the Pacific Surfliner

1. Fullerton (city)