Gill
Auckland

Los Angeles, California

Hotel/motel in Los Angeles?

We are overnighting before we catch a flight out to NZ at the end of the next day. We're coming from Santa Barbara and would like to be on the coastal side, rather than downtown area, but don't have to be by the sea. Any insights into safe areas, etc, please.  Thank you, Gill :-) 

Spencer from Los Angeles

I love the South Bay for Manhattan Beach and Hermosa Beach, and you can be to the airport in 15 mins. There are a number of pretty decently priced hotels less than $200, including the Hotel Hermosa and Hampton Inn & Suites Hermosa Beach in Hermosa. Hermosa and Redondo (the next beach south of Hermosa) can usually be a little cheaper than Manhattan Beach. 

1. Manhattan Beach (city)
  2. Hermosa Beach (city)
  3. Hotel Hermosa (hotel)
  4. Hampton Inn & Suites Hermosa Beach (hotel)

jason from Los Angeles

I highly recommend Palihouse Santa Monica. I use to live next door and have stayed there. Its walking distance from Third Street Promenade with shopping and restaurants. You can also hop on a bus to Venice Beach

1. Palihouse Santa Monica (hotel)
  2. Third Street Promenade (attraction)
  3. Venice Beach (attraction)

Breanna from Los Angeles

Check out the SpringHill Suites Los Angeles LAX/Manhattan Beach - it looks like they have really low priced rates ($101 when I just looked), and are close to both the airport and all the fun that Manhattan Beach has to offer.

Los Angeles Airport Marriott is another option near the airport with reasonable rates ($159 when I just looked). I've been in the lobby and public areas and thought that it was very clean and seemed like a nice place to stay.

Happy travels!

Dave

If you want a trendy beach spot try Shade Hotel in Manhattan Beach or for casual right on the beach - Beach House Hotel Hermosa Beach is a great spot - both more expensive but best beach locations in South Bay. 

1. Shade Hotel (hotel)
  2. Beach House Hotel Hermosa Beach (hotel)

Christine from Los Angeles

Manhattan Beach and Hermosa Beach are close to the airport. They're just south of the airport. Venice Beach and Santa Monica are just north of the airport!!

1. Manhattan Beach (city)
  2. Hermosa Beach (city)
  3. Venice Beach (attraction)
  4. Santa Monica (city)

Kemkem from Malaga

I would suggest a hotel or motel in Culver City or Santa Monica or West Los Angeles. I'm sure someone will suggest Venice Beach area, but personally, l am not a big fan of that area. I would go for Culver City, it's pretty safe, and you are not too far from the ocean and the airport, and it's budget friendlier. Have fun

1. Culver City (city)
  2. Santa Monica (city)
  3. West Los Angeles (attraction)
  4. Venice Beach (attraction)