Tina
Bainbridge Island

Los Angeles, Venice Beach

Dessert places in Venice Beach, CA, near the beach

My family is having our daughter's post-college grad lunch at a restaurant in Venice. We would like to have dessert in a different place, preferably near the beach so we could take pictures afterward. Does anyone have a recommendation of someplace nearby that has great pastries or desserts? The lunch will be at C & O Trattoria and there will be a rather large group, possibly 25. Thanks!

Molly from Santa Barbara, California

There is an ice cream shop called N'ice Cream on the boardwalk - they have great gelato and ice cream and it's right on the beach.  

1. N'ice Cream (attraction)

Jillian from Los Angeles

Hey Tina, I happen to have a mild pastry addiction, and live in Venice, so hopefully I can help. 

For your group size, I would definitely call ahead for reservations on any sit down option as Venice gets pretty booked up. 

Not sure if this is too far, but a nice place on the water is One Pico at Shutters On the Beach. I haven't personally eaten dessert here, but I bet they do a mean salted caramel sundae or chocolate molten cake. 

For a more casual option right off of the Venice boardwalk, try Figtree's Cafe. They have the basics--apple pie, brownie sundae, and also good location for pictures after.

For pastries, I'd try 3 Square Café + Bakery. The Cafe part has a sit down dining area open until 4pm that takes reservations for special events. The bakery next door is open until 6pm, but seating might be tricky and it's definitely more of a grab and go option.

I would also look into Primitivo close by as they have a really charming back patio area that would fit your whole group. Abbot Kinney is a cool street to check out in general when in Venice.

Also..I've been told the Capellini Shrimp is amazing at C&O Trattoria. Congrats on your daughter's graduation, and have fun celebrating!

1. One Pico (restaurant)
  2. Shutters On the Beach (hotel)
  3. Figtree's Cafe (restaurant)
  4. 3 Square Café + Bakery (restaurant)
  5. Primitivo (restaurant)
  6. Abbot Kinney (attraction)

Vinny from Manhattan Beach

Danny's Venice (website) in Venice Beach might be perfect for what you're looking for. They don't have a huge dessert menu, but the place is right by the beach and can easily accommodate your large group.

1. Danny's Venice (restaurant)

Carina from San Francisco

Hands down, without a doubt, Sweet Lady Jane Bakery is the place to go. This is a dessert-lover's lair, where essentially they treat at all sweet tooth's like royalty. Though it's not directly by the beach, it's located on the adorable Montana Avenue (there's also one on Melrose in West Hollywood), where parking may be a little more convenient and the atmosphere a bit more quaint. My friends and I make it there at least three times a run for post-dinner dessert nights. Honestly, the range of options to choose from is encyclopedic, and I can absolutely guarantee you won't leave without being in a pleasant sugar coma! 

1. Sweet Lady Jane Bakery (restaurant)