Alexia

Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland, Malibu, Hollywood, Anaheim

Christmas Roadtrip: Vancouver to Los Angeles (return)

Hey fine folks!

My boyfriend and I both have our families overseas, so we are planning a little Christmas roadtrip getaway to distract us from not being with family!

We want to depart afternoon of Dec 23 and return Dec 30th.

Where can we go? What can we do? Christmas suggestions (Disneyland, maybe??), shopping, concerts, going out, eating, sight-seeing? We are hiring a camper van so accommodation not needed.

We love the outdoors, so hiking trails welcomed... I have been to LA dozens of times, but the boyfriend´s second time. So please suggestions!

Have you considered that this is a 2000+ mile trip driving 20 hours each way?  You have 8 days to do it.  Unless you drive 10 hours on the 23rd and 10 hours on the 24th (or some combination thereof) not stopping to sightsee at all, you won't be spending Christmas in LA because you won't be there yet.

I don't know where you will want to stay in LA - I've never done that as a camping trip.  I am pretty sure that Disney is open on the 25th.  Otherwise there are Christmas lights, Christmas shopping and ice skating, but I can't yet find the schedules for 2017.

I think it would be better to spend some time in Seattle, PortlandSan Francisco or Monterey .  There are lots of parks and hiking things to go in that area without trying to drive all the way to LA.  Even so, just going as far as Monterey would be a 16 hour drive, but you could do it in sections and spend some time on the way down in northern California

1. Seattle (city)
  2. Portland (city)
  3. San Francisco (city)
  4. Monterey (city)

Dmytro

You would definitely need couple of stops. Perhaps, Marin County (Muir Woods National Monument is a nice place to visit), Monterey and San Luis Obispo (many beautiful trails to hike, including Montana de Oro State Park ) . For scenic route, take Big Sur

1. Marin County (region)
  2. Muir Woods National Monument (attraction)
  3. Monterey (city)
  4. San Luis Obispo (city)
  5. Montana de Oro State Park (attraction)
  6. Big Sur (city)